Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Found this Q at the end of an exercise in the OLD edexcel M2 course book. It develops into a mess of algebra but if anyone manages to show the final result and could post a solution it would be VERY much appreciated, its driving me insane an there is no solution available.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Found this Q at the end of an exercise in the OLD edexcel M2 course book. It develops into a mess of algebra but if anyone manages to show the final result and could post a solution it would be VERY much appreciated, its driving me insane an there is no solution available.
    We don't post solutions ... if you try it and post where you get to then I'll check it.

ReputationRep:
    I am the man with the solutions to practically everything ...
    I have it in my computer too!
    I am not allowed to post it though.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, but that picture doesn't show a question or what it's asking?

You may find it useful to know that v=eu
    where v is the velocity after impact, e is the coefficient of restitution (should be below 1) and u is the initial speed before impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    We don't post solutions ... if you try it and post where you get to then I'll check it.
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I am the man with the solutions to practically everything ...
    I have it in my computer too!
    I am not allowed to post it though.
    I have the following 3 'base line' equations boxed in green. I realise that I need to get rid of the V's but every time I have another stab at manipulating the algebra it gets worse and worse. I have about 5 pages of balled up paper in the bin from failed attempts. I just cant see what to substitute into where because it's so messy.

Ignore the above - I'm having difficulty getting the picture up. Basically I have;
    1 equation in terms of e, u_1, v_1, u_2, v_2 using Newtons Law of Restitution
    1 equation in terms of u_1, v_1, u_2, v_2, m_1, m_2 using conservation of linear momentum
    1 equation in terms of E, u_1, v_1, u_2, v_2, m_1, m_2 using formula for loss of mechanical energy due to impact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    Not sure, but that picture doesn't show a question or what it's asking?

You may find it useful to know that v=eu
    where v is the velocity after impact, e is the coefficient of restitution (should be below 1) and u is the initial speed before impact.
    Really? The picture should show a question at the top of a page in a textbook which is asking me to show that the loss of kinetic energy, E, satisfies the following (then gives an equation).

ReputationRep:
    I have the following 3 'base line' equations boxed in green. I realise that I need to get rid of the V's but every time I have another stab at manipulating the algebra it gets worse and worse. I have about 5 pages of balled up paper in the bin from failed attempts. I just cant see what to substitute into where because it's so messy.

Ignore the above - I'm having difficulty getting the picture up. Basically I have;
    1 equation in terms of e, u_1, v_1, u_2, v_2 using Newtons Law of Restitution
    1 equation in terms of u_1, v_1, u_2, v_2, m_1, m_2 using conservation of linear momentum
    1 equation in terms of E, u_1, v_1, u_2, v_2, m_1, m_2 using formula for loss of mechanical energy due to impact

I trust your equations are correct ...
    it is just that the algebra is very long and you are making a mistake somewhere.

As there are some people here that may take offence to me posting A level solutions, I can post in my site on a Temporary file the solution. Unless a mod says it is OK. Call MrM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I trust your equations are correct ...
    it is just that the algebra is very long and you are making a mistake somewhere.

As there are some people here that may take offence to me posting A level solutions, I can post in my site on a Temporary file the solution. Unless a mod says it is OK. Call MrM
    I will take a break and try again tomorrow with a fresh mind. If I still cant do the algebra i will take you up on your offer provided you are allowed to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I will take a break and try again tomorrow with a fresh mind. If I still cant do the algebra i will take you up on your offer provided you are allowed to do so.
    Probably better.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.