Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

I would like to know if anybody has recommendations for any resources to learn/self-teach the advance features and VBA programming in Excel preferably books if possible.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Singh89)
    Hello TSR,

I would like to know if anybody has recommendations for any resources to learn/self-teach the advance features and VBA programming in Excel preferably books if possible.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends what you mean by "advanced features"!

I find the easiest way to discover a lot of things is to record the action manually using the macro recorder and then edit the code that's generated to cut out any unwanted options, make it more efficient etc.

Obviously the macro recorder can't create loops or conditional tests, but I assume you're knowledgeable already to be able to add those things into any code you have, along with variable declarations etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Depends what you mean by "advanced features"!

I find the easiest way to discover a lot of things is to record the action manually using the macro recorder and then edit the code that's generated to cut out any unwanted options, make it more efficient etc.

Obviously the macro recorder can't create loops or conditional tests, but I assume you're knowledgeable already to be able to add those things into any code you have, along with variable declarations etc.
    Hello,

Thanks for the response. I have no knowledge of VBA programming in excel and would like to cement the knowledge of complex formulae such SUMIF and VLOOKUP in addition to created and manipulating pivot tables with large data sets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you already know basic programming concepts (loops e.t.c) then VBA programming should be very easy to pick up.Visual Basic is a very easy and very readable language so you should be able to write VBA code for your excel files fairly quickly if you have some programming experience in any other language. In VBA, a worksheet is just an object like any other object in any other OO language, so there is really no learning curve to go over.

If on the other hand you have no programming experience at all then you might want to pick up a VBA book or a general Visual Basic book and start by first reading the first few chapters of that.

ReputationRep:
    I have not prior knowledge of programming in the past in particular c++ and VBA however I became disinterested. I am a experienced chemistry graduate with a strong academic background with a desire to pursue a career change into the area of Data Analytics & Pricing as an Analyst. Sorry but do I require VBA to learn SQL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Singh89)
    Sorry but do I require VBA to learn SQL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, SQL is a language in its own right so you don't need to learn any other languages first! However, it is specifically for talking to relational databases, so unless you have a database to play with then it's not going to be much use in isolation! Often you will enter SQL statements through some sort of database management tool, but you may also embed SQL statements within some other programming language that is being used to develop a standalone program or a web app.

ReputationRep:
    So advice from experienced individuals to break in the area of BI & Data Analysis whilst in full time employment? Are training courses the way forward ie VBA and SQL server? Or can VBA simply be learnt through YouTube to save money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.