Turn on thread page Beta

Will Oxford recognise multiple Further Maths qualifications? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I would like to go to Oxford to study Mathematics and Computer Science where the entry requirement is A*AA (if Further Mathematics is taken, then including A*A between Mathematics and Further Mathematics -- http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...mputer-science). I expect to have 2 A*s from Maths/Further Maths ('double maths') as well as D1/D2 (D2 = A*, D1>A*) from the Cambridge pre-u for Further Maths by the time I enter A2.

Do you think they will overlook the fact that I have two versions of Further Maths and consider my qualifications as 3 A-level A*s? If so, considering I will have the qualifications by the time I apply, what type of offer can I expect to receive (an unconditional offer I'm hoping for)?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by NoTreason)
    Hello. I would like to go to Oxford to study Mathematics and Computer Science where the entry requirement is A*AA (if Further Mathematics is taken, then including A*A between Mathematics and Further Mathematics -- http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...mputer-science). I expect to have 2 A*s from Maths/Further Maths ('double maths' as well as D1/D2 (D2 = A*, D1>A*) from the Cambridge pre-u for Further Maths by the time I enter A2.

Do you think they will overlook the fact that I have two versions of Further Maths and consider my qualifications as 3 A-level A*s? If so, considering I will have the qualifications by the time I apply, what type of offer can I expect to receive (an unconditional offer I'm hoping for)?
    Is there overlap between the Pre-U Further Maths and A Level Further Maths? If there is, then I doubt they'd view them as separate qualifications (you can always ask them directly though). Do you not have any other A Levels or Pre-Us that aren't Maths?

If you apply with all of your qualifications completed then you'd either get an unconditional offer or a rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Is there overlap between the Pre-U Further Maths and A Level Further Maths? If there is, then I doubt they'd view them as separate qualifications (you can always ask them directly though). Do you not have any other A Levels or Pre-Us that aren't Maths?

If you apply with all of your qualifications completed then you'd either get an unconditional offer or a rejection.
    Thanks. I don't think they are identical but there's massive overlap. Other subjects are Philosophy, Latin and Physics.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks. I don't think they are identical but there's massive overlap. Other subjects are Philosophy, Latin and Physics.
    As long as you get A*AA with A*A in Maths and Further Maths, that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    This is a matter for individual colleges. But my view (as Admissions Coordinator) is that the Pre-U Further Maths has too much overlap with the A Level Further Maths, so we would want to see an A in one of your other subjects.

Gavin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.