English lit or Business studies?

Watch this thread
OzzieF99
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've done my first week of sixth form and I have chosen English lit, biology, psychology and geography but I'm not sure about my first option. I have learned that English lit includes a lot of essays and work which would add to what I could get for psychology as that is an essay based course too (as I've heard). I have doubt's about doing English and have considered business studies instead. However, I got an A for English lit at GCSE and I didn't take business studies. My overall grades were pretty good but I don't know if I will cope with all of the essays and workload. I quite enjoy English too but I heard its hard work. What do you suggest and what subjects have you taken for A level?
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Look at this thread, where I've sort of explained to others the perks and dips of doing English Lit! I'd highly recommend either way :yep:
OzzieF99
Rep:
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
Look at this thread, where I've sort of explained to others the perks and dips of doing English Lit! I'd highly recommend either way :yep:
Well we're studying tragedy ATM. Othello with one teacher and Death of a Salesman with another. We will later move onto the Great Gatsby and poems by someone called Keets or something (idk how to spell it)
h3110
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I took Business Studies and I didn't take Eng Lit. Business is really really easy and I also found the content really enjoyable. From what I've heard, Eng Lit is quite difficult, but it is more respect than Business, so most universities will prefer you to have taken Eng Lit than Business.
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OzzieF99)
Well we're studying tragedy ATM. Othello with one teacher and Death of a Salesman with another. We will later move onto the Great Gatsby and poems by someone called Keets or something (idk how to spell it)
I'm currently studying The Great Gatsby for A2, and it really is a great read! Shakespeare shouldn't be too hard either, the Sparknotes version of the story will be very helpful if you don't understand everything straight away, but you'll have to quote exactly what was in the original text for your essays, exam and so forth.

Keets..? Hm...are you on about W.B. Yeats?
Cyndi24
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by h3110)
I took Business Studies and I didn't take Eng Lit. Business is really really easy and I also found the content really enjoyable. From what I've heard, Eng Lit is quite difficult, but it is more respect than Business, so most universities will prefer you to have taken Eng Lit than Business.
Can you tell me something more about Business Studies? ( I'm going to start next week and I don't know what to expect at all)
OzzieF99
Rep:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. What did you get for GCSE and what else have you taken for A level?

And Yeats, Keets I have no idea :awesome: some poet
OzzieF99
Rep:
Posted from TSR Mobile

My English teacher also said an A* at GCSE is the equivalent of a D at A level. Is this just for English or for most subjects?
OzzieF99
Rep:
I'm currently studying The Great Gatsby for A2, and it really is a great read! Shakespeare shouldn't be too hard either, the Sparknotes version of the story will be very helpful if you don't understand everything straight away, but you'll have to quote exactly what was in the original text for your essays, exam and so forth.

Keets..? Hm...are you on about W.B. Yeats?
I'm new to this website so you'll have to bear with me :ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
I'm new to this website so you'll have to bear with me :ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not a problem!

Sorry I didn't see your earlier posts, you didn't quote me in them :lol:

I got 3A*, 5As, 2Bs

My other subjects in A level are Sociology and ICT. I've heard that English fits in really well with History, Gov & Pol, basically all essay-writing subjects :yep:

If you work at the same level you did to get an A* at GCSE, you won't get a very high grade. The complexity of subjects is greater in A level than it was in GCSE. Hence why teachers say it's quite a "big jump". A levels require a lot more effort and independent study, and you won't be able to get away with revising one or two days before like you were able to during your GCSEs.
OzzieF99
Rep:
Not a problem!

Sorry I didn't see your earlier posts, you didn't quote me in them :lol:

I got 3A*, 5As, 2Bs

My other subjects in A level are Sociology and ICT. I've heard that English fits in really well with History, Gov & Pol, basically all essay-writing subjects :yep:

If you work at the same level you did to get an A* at GCSE, you won't get a very high grade. The complexity of subjects is greater in A level than it was in GCSE. Hence why teachers say it's quite a "big jump". A levels require a lot more effort and independent study, and you won't be able to get away with revising one or two days before like you were able to during your GCSEs.
Okay, well I got 2 A*s, 6 A's and 2 B's (waiting for my sociology to be remarked as I was 2 marks off an A). English was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE and I managed to get my head round it well. However, it's the pressure from other subjects that is making me doubt English lit, especially psychology. I aspire to do some sort of social work in the future. Maybe a secondary school teacher or a counsellor. I've considered entering the world of law too but law isn't an option in my sixth form. I feel English would be most suitable but I'm worried that I'll fail it due to stress and waste an A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
Okay, well I got 2 A*s, 6 A's and 2 B's (waiting for my sociology to be remarked as I was 2 marks off an A). English was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE and I managed to get my head round it well. However, it's the pressure from other subjects that is making me doubt English lit, especially psychology. I aspire to do some sort of social work in the future. Maybe a secondary school teacher or a counsellor. I've considered entering the world of law too but law isn't an option in my sixth form. I feel English would be most suitable but I'm worried that I'll fail it due to stress and waste an A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not going to lie to you, the amount of work I have to do for Lit is immense! That alongside my lengthy ICT coursework is a killer :lol:

But it really is worth it, plus you won't be the only one doing it so you can ask your peers for support. Once you've read the books and annotated it thoroughly once over, it'll get a heck of a lot easier.

Honestly, an A level in Law won't guarantee you a place in Law, nor will it make you a more preferable candidate than another. I, as do many others, believe that English Lit is a much more versatile and useful subject which can be used for more things than a Law A level.

English Literature would provide you with the analytical and critical skills which would be great for if you wanted to be a secondary school teacher, social worker or even a counselor.
h3110
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cyndi24)
Can you tell me something more about Business Studies? ( I'm going to start next week and I don't know what to expect at all)
What would you like to know?
OzzieF99
Rep:
I'm not going to lie to you, the amount of work I have to do for Lit is immense! That alongside my lengthy ICT coursework is a killer :lol:

But it really is worth it, plus you won't be the only one doing it so you can ask your peers for support. Once you've read the books and annotated it thoroughly once over, it'll get a heck of a lot easier.

Honestly, an A level in Law won't guarantee you a place in Law, nor will it make you a more preferable candidate than another. I, as do many others, believe that English Lit is a much more versatile and useful subject which can be used for more things than a Law A level.

English Literature would provide you with the analytical and critical skills which would be great for if you wanted to be a secondary school teacher, social worker or even a counselor.
Okay I'll have a think and come back if I need anymore help or have anymore questions. I'm going to speak to one of my english teachers tomorrow about it and my tutor is the business studies teacher so I'll talk to him. But thank you anyway :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OzzieF99
Rep:
(Original post by h3110)
What would you like to know?
I am also keen to know a bit about the course. Could you just give a summary of the course and tell me what the workload and exams are like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
h3110
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I am also keen to know a bit about the course. Could you just give a summary of the course and tell me what the workload and exams are like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't really know where to start with a summary of the course.

There is honestly a very small workload, however I did have an advantage as I had an A* in Business Studies GCSE and a lot of the AS material was very similar to the GCSE. There are some equations you will need to know for the exams but it is mainly written questions with very little maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.52%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.41%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.78%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
20%

Watched Threads