Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Peter, I am 18 years old and I am not sure what to do.

So, I have 5 GCSEs A-C Including English and Maths and a AS level in Applied Business and BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in T&T (equivalent to one AS level) I am currently studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and achieved 3 Distinctions, 4 Merits and 2 Passes in my first year, I have just started my second year, and I am not sure if I should apply to any Universities. I don't know why but I feel disadvantaged for some reason and I have this awkward feeling inside of me that something will not end up well. Idon't think I am doing enough really, I am going to get a job soon and start my driving lessons next week as well. I do interpreting for my Family and couple of friends at Banks, Supermarkets, and so on regarding things such as Employment and so on and I like to do a lot of research on different topics such as Politics and the legal system.

I am also not sure if I will have to complete an English test if my first language is not English and I have an IGCSE in English at grade C, will I still be required to complete TOEFL or some other English test?Thanks for any suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeSmith)

So, I have 5 GCSEs A-C Including English and Maths and a AS level in Applied Business and BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in T&T (equivalent to one AS level) I am currently studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and achieved 3 Distinctions, 4 Merits and 2 Passes in my first year, I have just started my second year, and I am not sure if I should apply to any Universities. I don't know why but I feel disadvantaged for some reason and I have this awkward feeling inside of me that something will not end up well. Idon't think I am doing enough really, I am going to get a job soon and start my driving lessons next week as well. I do interpreting for my Family and couple of friends at Banks, Supermarkets, and so on regarding things such as Employment and so on and I like to do a lot of research on different topics such as Politics and the legal system.

I am also not sure if I will have to complete an English test if my first language is not English and I have an IGCSE in English at grade C, will I still be required to complete TOEFL or some other English test?Thanks for any suggestions.
    I wouldn't recommend going to uni unless you have a specific course in mind and are clear that it will help you in your future career (the loan means that you would be looking at an extra 9% tax on earnings over £21,000 - but 0% to pay whenever your earnings are under £21,000).

That said, now is the ideal time to make a UCAS application, to understand what is involved. The cost of completing the form is the time spent and £23. Your college will automatically provide the academic reference for you if you apply this year (and it might be more difficult to get this later in your career). It will give you a chance to start looking at courses and universities that are of interest. If you get an offer and fulfil the terms of the offer next August then you still have the option of going to uni, asking to defer for a year, or turning it down in favour of doing something else. After one more year's study and your results next August you will probably have a much clearer idea of how to spend your time from September 2016 onwards.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeSmith)

Each university is likely to have its own policy on this, so check not only the department's admissions criteria but also the general admissions webpages for each university.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.