Why don't the Calais refugees just go to Gibraltar?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My admittedly brief research has failed to answer my wonderings. I think I may have spotted a loophole. Can't the refugees trying to cross the channel to seek asylum just go to Gibraltar and apply for it there? And then if it's granted, they can come back up and legally jump on a boat to Britain...

Please show me I'm wrong before I hop on over there and tell them all the good news.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Because there is still a border there and their applications will still be rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Germany wants them so to Germany they shall go!
phoenixsilver
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Germany wants them so to Germany they shall go!
yup? and let them stay, no EU passports for them..

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
My admittedly brief research has failed to answer my wonderings. I think I may have spotted a loophole. Can't the refugees trying to cross the channel to seek asylum just go to Gibraltar and apply for it there? And then if it's granted, they can come back up and legally jump on a boat to Britain...

Please show me I'm wrong before I hop on over there and tell them all the good news.
The spaniards closed the border to Gib.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
1. It's not necessarily easy to get into Gibraltar from Spain.
2. Putting in an asylum application does not mean you can then swan off out of the country at will and get let back in.
3. Having asylum status in Gibraltar does not give you asylum status in the UK. Gibraltar is not a part of the UK, it is an overseas territory of the the UK: while our Government has authority in Gibraltar, it is an entirely different jurisdiction.
Good bloke
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
Well, you must by now realise how wrong you are. I can add another reason. Asylum seekers must claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive at. This means the people in Calais (in France, which is perfectly safe) have no valid claim for asylum in Britain. If they then travel to the Spain/Gibraltar border they will have crossed another safe country and compound that problem for themselves.
dadi123
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
has anyone tried this and got asylum status then came legally to uk?
hajialhaeri
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/768...rism-bill-2017
username1799249
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Well, you must by now realise how wrong you are. I can add another reason. Asylum seekers must claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive at. This means the people in Calais (in France, which is perfectly safe) have no valid claim for asylum in Britain. If they then travel to the Spain/Gibraltar border they will have crossed another safe country and compound that problem for themselves.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see how that changes post brexit. Isn't it an EU law that states asylum seekers must seek asylum in the first safe country?

Either way, i think it is widely recognised that such a rule doesn't work, either for the first country e.g. Greece / Italy / Spain, the actual destination country e.g. France, UK, Germany or the migrant who knows where they want to end up. There is also the issue that once arrived, there isn't much you can do. Where do you send someone if you can't determine where they came from? And finally, there is the fact that many illegals probably don't intend to claim asylum, having friends and family or community already here who can help.

Any one who says immigration is an easy problem to solve is lying.
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
not much happening in Gib, little work, welfare, housing etc..
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
There is a military base there meaning it might be a smidge harder to land their rickety craft on.
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
really they should just stay in the first African country they move to that is safe, like Tunisia or Algeria, maybe Egypt
Evans1982
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
And u think immigrants cn still get true to Gilbratar even when d bother is closed
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (220)
42.15%
The paper was reasonable (224)
42.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.75%

Watched Threads