Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M345 - Motion on Nursing, The Hon. Barnetlad MPThis House believes that there is a shortage of nurses in the United Kingdom, and that the Home Office should recognise this in the list of professions with shortages that form the basis of work permit applications. This House considers it perverse that ballet dancers and computer programmers are on the list, but suitably qualified nurses have obstacles put in their way.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

Though I will add that I fully understand and support ballet dancers and computer programmers being on the list.

ReputationRep:
    Having thought about this I'd like to ask is this a call for the NHS to recruit and fund new nursing positions, or just for the Home Office to add it to the list?

Asking for more nurses is one thing but being in a position to fill vacant job roles with the funding in place and readily available is another.

Aye in principle, though.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    This feels like it was thrown together in 5 minutes after watching/ listening to the news today. I would just about support it, preferring increased domestic training, but as said, it seems hastily put together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This feels like it was thrown together in 5 minutes after watching/ listening to the news today. I would just about support it, preferring increased domestic training, but as said, it seems hastily put together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This.

We have enough Universities offering Nursing Degrees, a breakdown of numbers for how many Paediatrics/Mental Health,Adult/Learning Disabilities nurses ideally 'needed' would also have helped.

ReputationRep:
    This is about enabling recruitment over the next few months and over the next couple of years taking place. More nursing degree places and actions to reduce the number of nurses leaving the profession are for another discussion in my view.

Although winter comes every year, too often staff shortages happen.

There is still a Home Office even though there is no TSR government.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I understand why programmers are on that list....but ballet dancers, really? Wow, just wow.

Either way, aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

We actually have more nursing graduates than job vacancies however we lack training places because we can hire 3 trained immigrant nurses for the price of training one graduate.

I would much rather we cut spending elsewhere and payed for more training places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Nay.

We actually have more nursing graduates than job vacancies however we lack training places because we can hire 3 trained immigrant nurses for the price of training one graduate.

I would much rather we cut spending elsewhere and payed for more training places.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Nay.

Just want to ask before this closes - can you provide sources? This seems a legitimate argument.

FWIW rather than cutting spending I'd rather place training quotas on the private sector but that's an ideological difference we have.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    This is in cessation
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 17, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.