Turn on thread page Beta

Help, pet rat has lump just wanted advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my pet rats has a hard round lump on her elbow I just noticed it today she is 18 months old and I don't know how to handle the situation. I was in a good mood but since finding it I've just been feeling really low as it's probably a mammary tumour or similar which is likely to get bigger. I'm going to take her to a vet tomorrow but if they give me the option of removing it is it worth finding the cash to have it done? I don't know what's best but as a pet owner it's what I've got to face. It's a weird place to be though on her front leg/elbow area, it just feels very Hard and bony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)
    One of my pet rats has a hard round lump on her elbow I just noticed it today she is 18 months old and I don't know how to handle the situation. I was in a good mood but since finding it I've just been feeling really low as it's probably a mammary tumour or similar which is likely to get bigger. I'm going to take her to a vet tomorrow but if they give me the option of removing it is it worth finding the cash to have it done? I don't know what's best but as a pet owner it's what I've got to face. It's a weird place to be though on her front leg/elbow area, it just feels very Hard and bony.
    Trust me when I say the vet will give you all the options and the information you need to know. I would stop worrying until then, it may very well be nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Trust me when I say the vet will give you all the options and the information you need to know. I would stop worrying until then, it may very well be nothing
    Thanks. Just need to make an appointment tomorrow. About to start uni and now this has put a damper on things, I guess worrying won't help though so I might as well just remain pragmatic and do my best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)
    Thanks. Just need to make an appointment tomorrow. About to start uni and now this has put a damper on things, I guess worrying won't help though so I might as well just remain pragmatic and do my best.
    It's probably feeling a lot worse because of the whole starting uni nerves thing

There's no point thinking the worst yet!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Hi there,

Assuming it is a mammary tumour, they're often not as bad as people think. They're usually benign, so only cause a problem when they become large enough to affect the rat's mobility. Surgically they can do very well, although it's worthwhile finding a vet that's recommended by other rat owners/experienced with exotics. You'll also need to consider her general health, a general anaesthetic and surgery is going to be very stressful so may be best avoided if her health isn't perfect/she's starting to show her age a bit. Do bear in mind that mammary tumours quite often reoccur after surgery, too.

As JoeL1994 said definitely take her to the vet, and obviously take the vet's word over mine. Fingers crossed your ratty is able to make a speedy recovery

ReputationRep:
    Rat as a pet, da***?

ReputationRep:
    Benign tumours are actually very common in pet rodents, chances are your rat will be fine. Try not to stress.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.