The Student Room Group

Does IGCSE's get accepted when applying for college or university?

Hello :smile:

Due to wanting to have a different career path, I need to obtain a few GCSE's that I wasn't able to gain in the past due to personal reasons. I have decided to go and do the online method. However, it's only seem to be offering IGCSE courses. I just wanted to know if IGCSE's are accepted nationwide in colleges and universities?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Mcfal94
Hello :smile:

Due to wanting to have a different career path, I need to obtain a few GCSE's that I wasn't able to gain in the past due to personal reasons. I have decided to go and do the online method. However, it's only seem to be offering IGCSE courses. I just wanted to know if IGCSE's are accepted nationwide in colleges and universities?

Thank you :smile:

Hello,

IGCSEs were originally developed for the International market, meaning parents who moved out of the UK could still make sure their children got a "UK" qualification.

IGCSEs are designed for distance learning, so work very well for anyone who is unable to get to a classroom. Most home educated students complete IGCSEs.

If you are planning to progress onto A levels or any other course which asks for GCSEs, you should find they treat the IGCSEs in exactly the same way :smile:

Matt - LearnOnline
What subject are you taking it in?

Unless you're thinking about Oxbridge(which I believe you have to get A's/A*s- from what I've seen), it really only getting a C(or higher) in English, Maths and Science matters
I'm studying English igcse . The course I want to do next year want gcse c ..If I get a igcse c should I still be accepted ? ..I'm really worried because I phoned the college today and the receptionist didn't have a clue what an igcse was 😕. .
Original post by zoeatkinson123
I'm studying English igcse . The course I want to do next year want gcse c ..If I get a igcse c should I still be accepted ? ..I'm really worried because I phoned the college today and the receptionist didn't have a clue what an igcse was 😕. .

As above, yes, they are treated exactly the same as GCSEs.

Ps. Receptionists are not experts on this sort of stuff. Better idea is always to ask to speak the 'admissions office'.
Thank you ....I did try to speak to addmisions but they had closed .... just got worried

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest