Turn on thread page Beta

Does IGCSE's get accepted when applying for college or university? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Due to wanting to have a different career path, I need to obtain a few GCSE's that I wasn't able to gain in the past due to personal reasons. I have decided to go and do the online method. However, it's only seem to be offering IGCSE courses. I just wanted to know if IGCSE's are accepted nationwide in colleges and universities?

Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Mcfal94)
    Hello

Due to wanting to have a different career path, I need to obtain a few GCSE's that I wasn't able to gain in the past due to personal reasons. I have decided to go and do the online method. However, it's only seem to be offering IGCSE courses. I just wanted to know if IGCSE's are accepted nationwide in colleges and universities?

Thank you
    Hello,

IGCSEs were originally developed for the International market, meaning parents who moved out of the UK could still make sure their children got a "UK" qualification.

IGCSEs are designed for distance learning, so work very well for anyone who is unable to get to a classroom. Most home educated students complete IGCSEs.

If you are planning to progress onto A levels or any other course which asks for GCSEs, you should find they treat the IGCSEs in exactly the same way

Matt - LearnOnline

ReputationRep:
    What subject are you taking it in?

Unless you're thinking about Oxbridge(which I believe you have to get A's/A*s- from what I've seen), it really only getting a C(or higher) in English, Maths and Science matters
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mcfal94)
    Hello

Thank you
    IGCSEs are treated the same as GCSE.

(Original post by chloeyay)
    What subject are you taking it in?

Unless you're thinking about Oxbridge(which I believe you have to get A's/A*s- from what I've seen), it really only getting a C(or higher) in English, Maths and Science matters
    That doesn't answe OPs question at all...

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying English igcse . The course I want to do next year want gcse c ..If I get a igcse c should I still be accepted ? ..I'm really worried because I phoned the college today and the receptionist didn't have a clue what an igcse was 😕. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoeatkinson123)
    I'm studying English igcse . The course I want to do next year want gcse c ..If I get a igcse c should I still be accepted ? ..I'm really worried because I phoned the college today and the receptionist didn't have a clue what an igcse was 😕. .
    As above, yes, they are treated exactly the same as GCSEs.

Ps. Receptionists are not experts on this sort of stuff. Better idea is always to ask to speak the 'admissions office'.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ....I did try to speak to addmisions but they had closed .... just got worried

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.