Turn on thread page Beta

Science Po/Columbia double degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I'm definitely applying for it however I have some doubts
    1) Ho do you calculate your GED in:
    a) Spanish grades (0-10)
    b) IB grades (1-7)
    2) They mention something about 2 essays that need to be written but I can't figure out through where should I send it and what are the topics and the number of words
    That's all! Is anyone else applying? Do you happen to know the acceptance rate?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I got in last year so I might be able to help.

In fact, there are 2 essays to write:

I. Describe how your experiences or ideas have shaped your decision to pursue the Dual BA Program. Why are an international academic experience and a two-year focus on the social sciences important to you as you consider the ways in which it may influence your future. Successful essays should not only identify and describe specific elements of the Dual BA Program that meet your needs as a student, but should also explain whythe region of focus that you have chosen for your time at Sciences Po is compatible with your aspirations, academic or otherwise. (500–1,000 words)

II. As a mathematician in ancient Greece, Euclid made a famous statement to King Ptolemy, “there is no royal road to geometry.” Based on your life experiences,describe a path or situation that you have encountered that lacked a royal road to be followed. What did you learn from this experience? (500–1,000 words)

You should send them, along with your application, transcript and letters of recommendation before the 2nd of January on columbia's website (the link is on the dual degree website).

About the acceptance rate, I think it's around 8-10% depending on the Sciences Po campus you are applying to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer!
    Also, about the transcripts being sent..
    1) do I still need to send them by mail if I live overseas?
    2) Should they indicate my name elsewhere than in the transcript?

ReputationRep:
    The transcripts should be sent by your school, not you. They need to stamp the transcript with the official stamp, and send them before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuraxx)
    The transcripts should be sent by your school, not you. They need to stamp the transcript with the official stamp, and send them before the deadline.
    Hey I'm applying to that degree this year. Could you give me some advice about the app? What was SAT? Did you send Subject Tests? Did you speak French?

ReputationRep:
    I'm french and I applied with my French results and no SAT so I have no clue about the subject test etc... I sent a TOEFL exam and my transcript. For the application, it's a bit tricky because there are 2 parts on the columbia website, and you need to send the first part (information, financials, adress...) in order to access the 2nd part (essays, transcript, CV..). So start the application way before the due date in order to be sure everything is Ok. For your essays, make sure to tell them which Sciences Po campus you choose, and why is it interesting for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuraxx)
    I'm french and I applied with my French results and no SAT so I have no clue about the subject test etc... I sent a TOEFL exam and my transcript. For the application, it's a bit tricky because there are 2 parts on the columbia website, and you need to send the first part (information, financials, adress...) in order to access the 2nd part (essays, transcript, CV..). So start the application way before the due date in order to be sure everything is Ok. For your essays, make sure to tell them which Sciences Po campus you choose, and why is it interesting for you.
    thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application! Any other applicant around?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2016
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.