Turn on thread page Beta

NY bans ice-cream vans from playing music!!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    i meant the stuff that he COULD have been doing!!!
    Which was exactly my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    maybe pc was the wrong phrase to use
    did you mean politically correct or personal computer? If it was the latter then it was definitely wrong!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I've only been here since feb too! (did you mean 'accepted'?). I feel like a bit of an outsider but it doesn't bother me all that much. I like this forum because I know I can say what I really think and won't get a *******ing off everybody for it! Everyone on here seems quite mature and tolerant of opposing views. it's nice.
    we are feb people lol yeah i meant accepted done my english exam so now iv forotten all my vocablary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    did you mean politically correct or personal computer? If it was the latter then it was definitely wrong!! :rolleyes:
    lol i dont know any more !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    In New York there's been a huge crack down on noise levels. Apparently there's too much noise so Mayor Bloomberg (os whatever his name is) has put a limit on how much dogs can bark - 10 mins during the day and 5 at night! Other proposals include getting workers at building sites to put blankets over noisy machinery, and preventing ice-cream vans from playing music!!! What are your thoughts on this? Personally I think it's a bit stupid!
    Is he related to Goerge Bush, you know the one who said 'more and more of our imports are coming from abroad'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    In New York there's been a huge crack down on noise levels. Apparently there's too much noise so Mayor Bloomberg (or whatever his name is) has put a limit on how much dogs can bark - 10 mins during the day and 5 at night! Other proposals include getting workers at building sites to put blankets over noisy machinery, and preventing ice-cream vans from playing music!!! What are your thoughts on this? Personally I think it's a bit stupid!
    There has been a massive increase in 'noise pollution' in the modern world, leading to increase in agressiveness, depression etc.

Noise was used (until condemned by Geneva convention) as a form of torture.

Dogs can be trained not to bark unnecessarily, babies don't need to cry if their needs are being met!

Noise is an intrusion on the rights of people to enjoy a peaceful environment.

Many councils prohibit building contractors from starting work that is noisey before 8 am in the morning.

Does anyone have problems with people being able to relax without being subjected to relentlessly unpleasant sounds?

I think it's a great idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    There has been a massive increase in 'noise pollution' in the modern world, leading to increase in agressiveness, depression etc.

Dogs can be trained not to bark unnecessarily, babies don't need to cry if their needs are being met!

Many councils prohibit building contractors from starting work that is noisey before 8 am in the morning.

Does anyone have problems with people being able to relax without being subjected to relentlessly unpleasant sounds?

Surely if it bothers you to such an extent you'd make a conscious decision not to live in a big city, where noise levels are notoriously higher than more rural areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Did you hear about the cruelest man in the world who told his children that when the ice-cream van music was playing that meant it had run out of ice-creams? :eek:
    Thats not as bad as the man who told his kids to put their pocket money in a piggy bank when it was the gas meter. Now that is just evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Surely if it bothers you to such an extent you'd make a conscious decision not to live in a big city, where noise levels are notoriously higher than more rural areas.
    That is not the point.

Regardless of where one lives, the noise levels are increasing dramatically - probably as a result of a lack of consideration for others - part of the signs of the times we live in.

Constant noise has been proved to have a deleterious effect on the pysche and because it CAN be controlled, it SHOULD be.

If all those who found noise pollution moved out of the larger areas what would happen regarding provision of services, maintaining businesses etc. Lack of noise is only to be found where there are few inhabitants. The problem would just move from A to B.

Don't you agree that it is better to deal with the problem at source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    That is not the point.

Regardless of where one lives, the noise levels are increasing dramatically - probably as a result of a lack of consideration for others - part of the signs of the times we live in.

Constant noise has been proved to have a deleterious effect on the pysche and because it CAN be controlled, it SHOULD be.

If all those who found noise pollution moved out of the larger areas what would happen regarding provision of services, maintaining businesses etc. Lack of noise is only to be found where there are few inhabitants. The problem would just move from A to B.

the source of high noise levels isnt in dogs barking or ice cream vans though its in Cars/SUVs and lorries, what the approach here seems to be is picking on the small/unimportant things instead of tackling the real problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)

i think noise as inn torture is when you play loud white noise to prisoners because it's irritating.

anyway...

i think its a good idea but you can only stop so much noise before stopping the noise becomes more of an annoyance than the noise itself. I think the best solution would be to increase the use of sound insulation in offices and houses where people spend most of their time, thats something that is easier to do and might actually work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    That is not the point.

It is slightly the point though. It's like moving to live alongside the railway and complaining that trains go by all the time, or moving to a big city and complaining that it's too busy. I do think there should be a limit on how much noise is produced i.e. it being against the law to use a car horn between the hours of 23:00 and 07:30, but lets face it, the only way to significantly reduce noise levels would be to ban cars/machinery, which is never going to happen.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.