Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering what miscellaneous expenses do medics (especially first year students) have- books? lab material? uniform? any hidden costs not mentioned on the websites?
    An approximate price of these extra academic tools or placement-related stuff would be great to know.... please do share!

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about UK medical students:

- no uniform and no lab stuff (I personally never set foot in a lab during med school). If you will be in clinical settings in your first year (either GP or hospital) then you will need some smart, professional-looking clothes and a good pair of shoes.

- books: it's up to you. It is possible to get through just borrowing books from the library and not buying anything, other people go crazy and spend loads on books, most people I knew bought maybe 2-3 books for preclinical and borrowed the rest. I bought 3 books within my first 2 years I think; an anatomy, physiology and pharmacology book, mainly because they were books I was borrowing all the time from the library and the style of the books worked for me. (Don't go rushing to buy books in advance).

- Defence organisations like MPS / MDU have free student subscriptions and normally give away some books for free

- The BMA - I don't know what student subscription rates are these days but first year is maybe free / inexpensive. Not everyone does this.

- At some point you will need to invest in a stethoscope. In some med schools this might be third year, some it might be first year. Usually Littmanns reps will come to the med school at some point and do them on special offer and engrave them so there is no need to go rushing into this. But is likely to be in the region of £50.

- Stationery - pens / paper / folders etc.

- Depending on what printing facilities are available at your uni, might be worth thinking about a printer. Also computer / laptop. Doesn't need to be hi-tech.

- Some people find a bike useful, depending on how far halls are from uni

- think about any transport costs, especially if you have clinical placements in first year.

Fees for joining clubs / societies / sports teams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junior.doctor)
    The BMA - I don't know what student subscription rates are these days but first year is maybe free / inexpensive. Not everyone does this.
    Freeeeeee. At least for first year, after that it's about £3.50 a month.

For OP:
    https://web2.bma.org.uk/memapps.nsf/...OpenForm&mem=s

The library is wonderful too, free books inc delivery and return to hold for 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junior.doctor)
    If you're talking about UK medical students:

- no uniform and no lab stuff (I personally never set foot in a lab during med school). If you will be in clinical settings in your first year (either GP or hospital) then you will need some smart, professional-looking clothes and a good pair of shoes.

- books: it's up to you. It is possible to get through just borrowing books from the library and not buying anything, other people go crazy and spend loads on books, most people I knew bought maybe 2-3 books for preclinical and borrowed the rest. I bought 3 books within my first 2 years I think; an anatomy, physiology and pharmacology book, mainly because they were books I was borrowing all the time from the library and the style of the books worked for me. (Don't go rushing to buy books in advance).

- Defence organisations like MPS / MDU have free student subscriptions and normally give away some books for free

- The BMA - I don't know what student subscription rates are these days but first year is maybe free / inexpensive. Not everyone does this.

- At some point you will need to invest in a stethoscope. In some med schools this might be third year, some it might be first year. Usually Littmanns reps will come to the med school at some point and do them on special offer and engrave them so there is no need to go rushing into this. But is likely to be in the region of £50.

- Stationery - pens / paper / folders etc.

- Depending on what printing facilities are available at your uni, might be worth thinking about a printer. Also computer / laptop. Doesn't need to be hi-tech.

- Some people find a bike useful, depending on how far halls are from uni

- think about any transport costs, especially if you have clinical placements in first year.

Fees for joining clubs / societies / sports teams
    Yup, I meant UK medical students :P
    Thanks a lot for your detailed response! I really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Freeeeeee. At least for first year, after that it's about £3.50 a month.

For OP:
    https://web2.bma.org.uk/memapps.nsf/...OpenForm&mem=s

The library is wonderful too, free books inc delivery and return to hold for 3 months.
    Thanks for the link!
    the libraries sound good... are you talking about a particular uni?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Nikita Verma)
    Thanks for the link!
    the libraries sound good... are you talking about a particular uni?
    He's talking about the BMA library. Open to anyone (you order books online) with a BMA membership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    He's talking about the BMA library. Open to anyone (you order books online) with a BMA membership.
    Ohh. Thanks for clearing that up!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.