The Student Room Group

Another FDM related question

Guys,

I know everyone has warned about applying to FDM. In fact, reading all the reviews, I myself I'm really worried about signing the contract when they send it.

Thing is though, everyone who is currently on the scheme or has gone through it, that advises people not to apply for it. How would you have done without going through them? Could you have secured yourself a role in that nice company you are most likely to be accepted?

I'm asking because I'm trying to look at the whole issue from both sides. I have been offered a place and I'm in 2 minds whether to accept the offer or not. Either way, I am giving myself the now till the training start date to try to get myself a job. If this happens, I won't need to follow through with the FDM offer. If not, I feel I really should. I understand I'll be sacrificing 2 years of my life - which is really hard. I could be using these 2 years to apply for a full time role and could get one.

So please guys - with inside knowledge about FDM. What would you say to someone who is unsure? Considering you now have a good connection to these companies you wouldn't have had if you never went though them. Would you advise one to go for it?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know anything about FDM other that what I have read on here. However, whatever you do, don't pay any money to them. Any company worth its salt will send you on training courses at no cost to yourself. That is all really.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
I don't know anything about FDM other that what I have read on here. However, whatever you do, don't pay any money to them. Any company worth its salt will send you on training courses at no cost to yourself. That is all really.

Good luck!

Well, no one is required to make any cash payment. They take the money from your first 2 years pay.
Thatis the same thing. There are so many jobs in IT right now that companies are fighting for staff. Pay and perks are on the up. Only mugs are paying for their own training if are working for someone already.
Reply 4
Yh, hear you. I totally agree with one paying for their own training. Especially when the likes of FDM are charging on average £2500 per training. But, the fact that they get you experience, in through the door etc. I think that's a major benefit, In my honest opinion.

I've been kinda against it, even when I applied for a role to see how it goes.

Now, I've spent few days job hunting, chatting to recruitment agencies, companies, trying to secure a job. And it reminds me of those days I spent months looking for a job, only to be disappointed when a number of recruitment agents don't call you back or start ignoring your calls. Or tell their colleagues to say they are out of the office. Then people say you don't want to show you are desperate for a role, which makes one think - should I keep calling every couple of days or not etc.

All the above does is just stamp down on a fellow job seekers confidence. The feeling ain't nice at all.

So based on the above, I've started to sway towards accepting the offer at FDM - even though deep down I'm hesitant. I mean, it's a case of me risking it on my own or take a guaranteed route through them. Only thing I'll have to accept if I go with FDM is 2 years of low pay. My thoughts, "earlier the better" eh.
Hang in there. I wrote a blog post on how to manage agents. Have a look here:

http://byeeek.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/how-to-get-job-through-agent.html

It will take a while to get your first job. I was out of work over Christmas and even with my experience it was still the best part of 2 months before I started work again. But seriously, don't accept anything for the sake of it and especially if it requires payment on your part. It just is not worth it in the long term. The jobs are out there, just keep going.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Ah cheers for this bro.

I've actually ready your blog on handling agents,in the past. Nice, must say. Most I follow already though.

Part of the reason I also feel 'cornered against the wall' - if I can use that statement - is because few things has happened over the years. And as a result, I have a massive 6 year gap on my CV with no relevant work experience. Due to personal life situations etc, I've had to leave the country, stay away for over a year, back again, doing all sort of jobs etc.

Think I've tried highlighting all relevant experience, but non seem to stick so far. As a result, I kinda feel I should, you know.
(edited 8 years ago)
I genuinely can relate to that mike,i have graduated with an IT degree but funnily enough i still have no well sought after IT skills that could set me apart from the rest. Getting on to a graduate scheme has proven to be tough and i've just recieved my second rejection after attending an assessment day (fukin psychometric tests are the devil) so feeling very hopeless right now even though im just 3 months out of uni but im strarting to fear i may never use my degree and end up in retail or something.
Original post by chosenone93
I genuinely can relate to that mike,i have graduated with an IT degree but funnily enough i still have no well sought after IT skills that could set me apart from the rest. Getting on to a graduate scheme has proven to be tough and i've just recieved my second rejection after attending an assessment day (fukin psychometric tests are the devil) so feeling very hopeless right now even though im just 3 months out of uni but im strarting to fear i may never use my degree and end up in retail or something.

Hey - hang in there. There is more to life than corporate graduate recruitment schemes. Don't forget the little guy. Smaller companies hire grads too and if you are not showing your alpha male tendencies are not shining brightly at assessment days, you may well do better in a smaller setting anyway.

As for skills - if you have some spare time, now is the time to start gaining those skills. Go to your local library / university library and start swatting up. I was in Cardiff contracting last year. After I had done my day, I went straight to Cardiff Uni library to study ASP.net, a skill I felt might get me work closer to home. It is there for the taking but you have to go after it.

Hang in there and good luck. In 20 years time it will be like it never happened!
Original post by ByEeek
Hey - hang in there. There is more to life than corporate graduate recruitment schemes. Don't forget the little guy. Smaller companies hire grads too and if you are not showing your alpha male tendencies are not shining brightly at assessment days, you may well do better in a smaller setting anyway.

As for skills - if you have some spare time, now is the time to start gaining those skills. Go to your local library / university library and start swatting up. I was in Cardiff contracting last year. After I had done my day, I went straight to Cardiff Uni library to study ASP.net, a skill I felt might get me work closer to home. It is there for the taking but you have to go after it.

Hang in there and good luck. In 20 years time it will be like it never happened!

Cheers for the positivity iyour right there is always hope ive only just graduated in june so need to calm down a bit.However,some fields in IT are notoriously difficult to get your foot in the door and to be honest a grad scheme is often the only feasible way to get in there as your guarenteed good quality training and a placement afterwards for that reason i'm going to go ahead and give FDM a try and just hope its not another company that I have to add to my unsuccessful application list :redface:
Reply 10
Since you are fresh out, getting into FDM shouldn't be an issue.
Also agree with smaller companies. I've actually tried some smaller firms, issue is - from what I've gathered anyway - they seem to want REALLY experienced people.

Was tempted to start an internship at one start up for £300/month. Almost did it. But real life kicked in. Expenses and it was all the way in Farringdon. Just couldn't.

That being said, look every where including small companies.

On the flip side, since you are new into the market - and from all the research I've done. I'll say look into FDM too or others like it. 2 years of guaranteed experience is better than nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mikeA1
Since you are fresh out, getting into FDM shouldn't be an issue.
Also agree with smaller companies. I've actually tried some smaller firms, issue is - from what I've gathered anyway - they seem to want REALLY experienced people.

Was tempted to start an internship at one start up for £300/month. Almost did it. But real life kicked in. Expenses and it was all the way in Farringdon. Just couldn't.

That been said, look every where including small companies.

On the flip side, since you are new into the market - and from all the research I've done. I'll say look into FDM too or others like it. 2 years of guaranteed experience is better than nothing.
i've just scheduled a phone interview with FDM and will probably attend the assessment centre if invited. Have you accepted your offer yet or still in the process of deciding?
i'd like to know how the relocation works, i understand that after completing the unpaid traininng they could place you with one of their clients anywhere in the country but if i'd be left on my own devices to find accommodation during each placement i may have to leave it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
i've just scheduled a phone interview with FDM and will probably attend the assessment centre if invited. Have you accepted your offer yet or still in the process of deciding?
i'd like to know how the relocation works, i understand that after completing the unpaid traininng they could place you with one of their clients anywhere in the country but if i'd be left on my own devices to find accommodation during each placement i may have to leave it

I'm like 92% certain I'd be accepting the contract. Start date is just over a month away. Should anything change, get a full time job elsewhere - so be it. If not, then definitely going to accept.

With regards accommodation, you are kinda right. I haven't really asked any question regarding accommodation. But, think you are right. From what I've gathered, they do leave it to you to find one. In fact, I've heard something scary that they could send you within few days notice and you have to report to the site. But, it won't make sense for them to do so without assisting with some form of accommodation.

Either way, because of my kinda desperate situation. I plan on saving some money for this, in case. So I'll have something to survive on.

But I agree it could be a deal breaker. Only brought them up because of the experience they offer. Which, I would imagine is beneficial for a fresh graduate.
Original post by mikeA1
I'm like 92% certain I'd be accepting the contract. Start date is just over a month away. Should anything change, get a full time job elsewhere - so be it. If not, then definitely going to accept.

With regards accommodation, you are kinda right. I haven't really asked any question regarding accommodation. But, think you are right. From what I've gathered, they do leave it to you to find one. In fact, I've heard something scary that they could send you within few days notice and you have to report to the site. But, it won't make sense for them to do so without assisting with some form of accommodation.

Either way, because of my kinda desperate situation. I plan on saving some money for this, in case. So I'll have something to survive on.

But I agree it could be a deal breaker. Only brought them up because of the experience they offer. Which, I would imagine is beneficial for a fresh graduate.
Ahh I see, I will be attending the assessment day this week so I will try and ask as much questions as I can. The bad reviews I've seen online are quite worrying though as they contradict the "award winning" status of the company.
One red flag i've spotted already is that there is no guarantee of being placed with any of their clients once you have completed trainning; despite them claiming that you will be employed for a minimum of two years in their promotional brochure's and job adverts.

However,from looking at linkedin profiles there have been some sucess stories of people beeing placed in blue chip companies upon completion of trainning.
I guess this is the best scenario while the worst is you will walk away from the company with some extra qualifications but without the experience.
Reply 14
Yeah, knowing a few things about the programme helps with your questions. So make sure you ask loads during the presentation - this accommodation being one of the questions.

You are also right about the reviews. My goodness, when I started doing some research into the program, I was taken aback by the negative reviews. They weren't helpful AT ALL. So I started doing deep searches - asking few people I know that had gone through the program. A mate of mine got back to me and stated the same thing I had in mind - a very good source of experience (primarily) and a way to 'get your foot through the doors' - if that makes sense. Now, this mate of mine works in Barclays Wealth (HSBC post FDM).

After this, I started going through LinkedIn profiles and I was quite pleased in a positive way, with the roles these profiles had post-FDM. This is the force pushing me to go with it. 2 years right - should go quick, I've been told.

About placement post training, I've heard this. They state if after 90 days, they are unable to place you into a role, you would be released from the contract and not expected to pay anything. And like you said, you walk away with qualifications.

On the flip side, if after you have been placed, you were released from the place of work or the contract (with the workplace you were placed) ran out and they couldn't place you in another role. I learnt you would be expected to report to their office for internal work (or further training - unsure about this). Now, I'm concerned as this would be a gap on one's CV and worst of all - No pay during the duration of you waiting to be put back into work. Only good thing is, it counts towards your overall 2 years. And at this point, they would expect you take any role, even if it is not the type of role you wanted - this I got from research. So it would be beneficial if you ask for specifics during the assessment day.

So, at the end of it all, I am hopeful that all will go well and will be placed in a role I like/want - a good role as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mikeA1

You are also right about the reviews. My goodness, when I started doing some research into the program, I was taken aback by the negative reviews.

Goodness grief. What was unhelpful about the negative reviews? The fact that you hoped they would be positive ones? You are sounding rather blinded here. If you want a comparison, look at a respected company and see how the reviews compare. I have heard nothing but badness spoken about FDM and the fact that they put you through an unpaid training period or even withhold your pay in return for training is scandalous. We have just put our new grads through 2 weeks of training and in my first job, I was sent to California (all expenses paid) for two weeks training.

I have my fingers crossed for you but I can't help feeling you are going to get burned. Good luck and keep plan b close by just in case.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
Goodness grief. What was unhelpful about the negative reviews? The fact that you hoped they would be positive ones? You are sounding rather blinded here. If you want a comparison, look at a respected company and see how the reviews compare. I have heard nothing but badness spoken about FDM and the fact that they put you through an unpaid training period or even withhold your pay in return for training is scandalous. We have just put our new grads through 2 weeks of training and in my first job, I was sent to California (all expenses paid) for two weeks training.

I have my fingers crossed for you but I can't help feeling you are going to get burned. Good luck and keep plan b close by just in case.

Cheers ByEeek,

What I meant was, i wasn't helpful with decision making. Saying this because I have also heard some positive reviews. In fact, a mate that went through it, like I said in one of my post above, stated they should be my last option. But will definitely get the experience needed and hopefully be retained.

Considering I have a 5 year hole in my CV, where I've just been doing all sort of jobs not related to my chosen field and the constant rejection to job applications. I am in dire need of relevant experience before its too late.

But yh, that's what I meant by the quoted statements.

Or do you have any ideas? I'm open to them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Didnt even get an offer, ahh well back to the grind but @byeek you make it seem as if its so easy to get on to a good grad scheme/job not all of us will be as lucky as you have been im afraid.
Personally, the technical tests (im awful at maths) always set me back I may be forced to hop off the gradauate scheme bandwagon this is my 3rd rejection so far!
Reply 18
Didnt even get an offer, ahh well back to the grind but @byeek you make it seem as if its so easy to get on to a good grad scheme/job not all of us will be as lucky as you have been im afraid.
Personally, the technical tests (im awful at maths) always set me back I may be forced to hop off the gradauate scheme bandwagon this is my 3rd rejection so far!

3rd rejection. Please, trust me. Don't let that get to you AT ALL. Keep going.

Maybe get to like 40s - 50s. Hopefully, you won't get to that level before getting an offer letter. That's the prayer I have for you.

But 3rd rejection, for a fresh graduate - Please don't. Keep applying!

With regards FDM, did they reject you after the phone interview?
It was after the assessment day I didnt score high enough in the tests to be allowed on to the programme but yeah its not so much about it being the 3rd time my issue is that this was one of the rare ocassion that i've gotten a response to something i applied for and i blew it!

You can apply for 50 jobs and wont get any response as there is another 100 applicants with more experience but for experience you need a job so its really a catch 22 for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending