Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hopefully someone can help me,
    I'm actually in my 2nd year of uni now but am still having trouble supporting my application.
    I have given all my evidence including pay slips and P60s and have been earning well over £7,500 for the two years prior to my course but the third year prior to my course I only earned around £7,300 - just short of the minimum amount needed for me to be eligible.
    However I have actually been financially independent from my parents since I was 18 and able to move out, so 5 years (nearly 6).
    I know student finance set this minimum as this must be the minimum needed to support yourself, but I DID support myself completely earning less than this. Not only was I earning financially but also living independently as I moved CITY away from my parents.
    I forwarded a letter from my previous employer, who is now a teacher, which illustrates my financial position and supports my application for financial independence. However, student finance have replied saying this doesn't explain WHY my parents can't support me. They can't because I am an individual that supports herself!!!! With I help!!!! Even when I got by earning less than their minimum I received no housing benefit whatsoever to top up my income, as I was able to manage my finances myself.
    I am not estranged from my parents, albeit we don't have the best relationship hence why I have been independent for so long, but they have not supported me financially at all and I have completely supported myself.
    I don't know what other support I can give to prove that I am financially independent.

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.