Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how do u know if an equation is odd or even??
    i totally forgot bout curves so i'm frantically trying 2 revise them now....its my weakest point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    i totally forgot bout curves so i'm frantically trying 2 revise them now....its my weakest point
    do they come in the exams coz i never saw any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    do they come in the exams coz i never saw any
    well no i haven't seen any as such.....but its in the flipping text book.....so ur guesses r as gd as mine!............

ReputationRep:
    even function: f(-x) = f(x) , i.e. y = cosx
    odd function: f(-x) = -f(x) , i.e. y = sinx ???? please could someone confirm

ReputationRep:
    well no i haven't seen any as such.....but its in the flipping text book.....so ur guesses r as gd as mine!............
    i wont revise it ... that means knowing my luck its gona come up!

ReputationRep:
    An even function satisfies f(x)=f(-x) so the graph has a line of symmetry in the y-axis. An odd function satisfies f(x)=-f(-x) so the graph has rotational symmetry around the origin. f(x)=cosx is even while f(x)=sinx is odd. (These are just examples of odd and even functions, as there are many more. For example, f(x)=x² is even as there is a line of symmetry in the y-axis while f(x)=x³ is odd as there is rotational symmetry about the origin).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    even function: f(-x) = f(x) , i.e. y = cosx
    odd function: f(-x) = -f(x) , i.e. y = sinx ???? please could someone confirm
    i don't understand :confused: ......... explain y = cosx pls.......thx

ReputationRep:
    i don't understand :confused: ......... explain y = cosx pls.......thx
    see meepmeep's post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    An even function satisfies f(x)=f(-x) so the graph has a line of symmetry in the y-axis. An odd function satisfies f(x)=-f(-x) so the graph has rotational symmetry around the origin. f(x)=cosx is even while f(x)=sinx is odd.
    why is f(x) = cos x even?? wot would f(-x) be for that?? i don't get how u work it out.....sorry, i've never actually understood f(x) becoming f(-x) from P2, lol

ReputationRep:
    why is f(x) = cos x even?? wot would f(-x) be for that?? i don't get how u work it out.....sorry, i've never actually understood f(x) becoming f(-x) from P2, lol
    ohhhhh i get it......so put in the same number but in its negative form, and answer will still be the same?! thank uuuuuuu

ReputationRep:
    basically, if you put in a value of x, you'll get the same result as putting in -x
    e.g. y=cosx, if x=60, y=0.5
    if x=-60, y=0.5, still

ReputationRep:
    If f(x) = cosx, f(-x) = cos(-x) = cos(0-x) = cos0cosx - sin0sinx = cosx so f(x) = f(-x) so f(x) is an even function

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhh i get it......so put in the same number but in its negative form, and answer will still be the same?! thank uuuuuuu
    Yep, you've got it. Whereas if it's odd, then when you put the neagtive number in, the answer you get is the same but negative (eg sin pi/2=1 and sin -pi/2=-1).

From this, you get cos(x)=cos(-x) and -sin(x)=sin(-x)

ReputationRep:
    okay, well i'm off to school now....p1 at 1.00, followed by p3 at around 2.30....should be interesting
    good luck to everyone, and i'll be talking to you all at around 5.00 (when i come home)

ReputationRep:
    You have to be a bit careful if you do it this way as sin(pi) = sin(-pi) but sine is an odd function. With trig functions it's probably easiest to consider the graphs and decide if they're symmetrical in y axis or have rotational symmetry 180 degrees about the origin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    You have to be a bit careful if you do it this way as sin(pi) = sin(-pi) but sine is an odd function. With trig functions it's probably easiest to consider the graphs and decide if they're symmetrical in y axis or have rotational symmetry 180 degrees about the origin.
    Yeah, to be totally correct I should have wrote that:

For an even function f(x)=f(-x) (the three lines means "is identically equal" so it holds for all values of x) so has a line of symmetry through the y-axis and for an odd function -f(x)=f(-x) so has rotational symmetry around the origin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    okay, well i'm off to school now....p1 at 1.00, followed by p3 at around 2.30....should be interesting
    good luck to everyone, and i'll be talking to you all at around 5.00 (when i come home)
    yeah same, i'm resitting P1....best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    thx for advice bezza and meep meep! much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    thx for advice bezza and meep meep! much appreciated
    No trouble. Good luck with it this afternoon.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.