Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying English and Theology at Queen's University, Belfast. Although I absolutely love it, I'm really strongly considering switching to Land Use and Environmental Management, or Planning, Environment and Development.

I really enjoy English and Theology, but talking to older students recently has made me feel that the degree is useless and leads nowhere. Students who are finished have no idea what they wish to do, which is a bit scary for me.
    I hate the stigma surrounding the arts, which people think are useless, and I'm beginning to feel the same way myself.

I used to think teaching would be for me, and if I were to stay on the English and Theology course, I would apply for teaching no doubt. But recently I've questioned wanting to become a teacher, and have strongly considered a career in the built environment, environmental studies, urban design etc. I love how focused they are on physically changing our world and I find them inspiring.
    I did GCSE geography and loved it.

I worry about switching, mostly because I am worried of what people will think. However, I feel that this is not just a fleeting notion, but I would really enjoy the subject and find a great career in this field.
    I got three A's in my A-levels so grades aren't really an issue. I'm about to go into my second year of studying English and Theology. I'm a female, and I'm aged 20.

I guess my question is, should I switch? What advice can anyone give me? Anyone feel the same about the arts/humanities? Should I drop out and apply again for the course I want to do? Should I finish second year? Should I finish my whole English and Theology degree and then do a second degree after that?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank-you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanbann)
    I'm currently studying English and Theology at Queen's University, Belfast. Although I absolutely love it, I'm really strongly considering switching to Land Use and Environmental Management, or Planning, Environment and Development.

I really enjoy English and Theology, but talking to older students recently has made me feel that the degree is useless and leads nowhere. Students who are finished have no idea what they wish to do, which is a bit scary for me.
    I hate the stigma surrounding the arts, which people think are useless, and I'm beginning to feel the same way myself.

I used to think teaching would be for me, and if I were to stay on the English and Theology course, I would apply for teaching no doubt. But recently I've questioned wanting to become a teacher, and have strongly considered a career in the built environment, environmental studies, urban design etc. I love how focused they are on physically changing our world and I find them inspiring.
    I did GCSE geography and loved it.

I worry about switching, mostly because I am worried of what people will think. However, I feel that this is not just a fleeting notion, but I would really enjoy the subject and find a great career in this field.
    I got three A's in my A-levels so grades aren't really an issue. I'm about to go into my second year of studying English and Theology. I'm a female, and I'm aged 20.

I guess my question is, should I switch? What advice can anyone give me? Anyone feel the same about the arts/humanities? Should I drop out and apply again for the course I want to do? Should I finish second year? Should I finish my whole English and Theology degree and then do a second degree after that?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank-you!
    If you would like to work in environmental development better to switch soon as you're still early in your degree and can get funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into SECOND year, though.. Is that still early in a degree?
    Also thanks for the reply, literally first time on here.

ReputationRep:
    Going into, not completed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, how does one go about switching a degree?
    I was thinking about attending a few lectures of Environmental Management to see what it was like, but everywhere I read says I have to move FAST.
    How does that work? Would I have to reapply again or just go to the uni and say 'I would like to switch to a completely unrelated discipline'? Do uni's actually let you do that?

ReputationRep:
    Ask your uni if you can switch, it's fairly obvious tbh.. If they say no you'll have to reapply on UCAS. There's plenty of information online, look it up yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.