Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying English and Theology at Queen's University, Belfast. Although I absolutely love it, I'm really strongly considering switching to Land Use and Environmental Management, or Planning, Environment and Development.

I really enjoy English and Theology, but talking to older students recently has made me feel that the degree is useless and leads nowhere. Students who are finished have no idea what they wish to do, which is a bit scary for me. I guess I just don't want to fall into the same trap as a lot of older students who have done the degree and now find they have no idea what they want to do..
    I hate the stigma surrounding the arts, which people think are useless, and I'm beginning to feel the same way myself.

I used to think teaching would be for me, and if I were to stay on the English and Theology course, I would apply for teaching no doubt. But recently I've questioned wanting to become a teacher, and have strongly considered a career in the built environment, environmental studies, urban design etc. I love how focused they are on physically changing our world and I find them inspiring.
    I did GCSE geography and loved it.

I worry about switching, mostly because I am worried of what people will think. However, I feel that this is not just a fleeting notion, but I would really enjoy the subject and find a great career in this field. I got three A's in my A-levels so grades aren't really an issue. I'm about to go into my second year of studying English and Theology. I'm a female, and I'm aged 20.

I guess my question is, should I switch? What advice can anyone give me? Anyone feel the same about the arts/humanities? Should I drop out and apply again for the course I want to do? Should I finish second year? Should I finish my whole English and Theology degree and then do a second degree after that?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank-you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.