I can't remember my maths GCSE very well. Will I be OK at a level maths?

Watch
heythere115
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I can't remember half of my maths gcse. Will i be ok for a level maths? (Btw I got an A in maths gcse).
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by heythere115)
I can't remember half of my maths gcse. Will i be ok for a level maths? (Btw I got an A in maths gcse).
Well it depends which half

Haven't you already started back at school/college? How are you finding it?

Or are you a mature student picking up maths again after a break?
creativebuzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by davros)

Davros, quick question, but when drawing a histogram why is it that sometimes the answers require you to calculate the class width differently, e.g.

sometimes they'd say the class with of 2-4 is 2 (4-2) but then sometimes they say it's 3 (I suppose from 4.5-1.5)?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by creativebuzz)
Davros, quick question, but when drawing a histogram why is it that sometimes the answers require you to calculate the class width differently, e.g.

sometimes they'd say the class with of 2-4 is 2 (4-2) but then sometimes they say it's 3 (I suppose from 4.5-1.5)?
OK, Disclaimer: I haven't done this sort of thing for many years and I would NEVER draw a histogram manually, so I would have to dig into a stats book for the 'proper' answer, but I suspect it's probably to do with whether your data are discrete or continuous.

(It might be best for you to post a specific question in the Maths forum rather than hijack this thread, then someone who either teaches stats or has covered it recently can dive in. This sort of question is the worst thing about stats because it's not something that anyone ever worries about in practice - it's just something they like to inflict on you in Stats exams )
lixture
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol no. Run lol.
heythere115
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)

I haven't done a single maths over the summer holidays. I started A level maths on Monday. We were going through questions on GCSE (a little recap) and I couldn't really remember how to answer about half the questions. I plan on going through my GCSE book real quick and memorize everything.

Also the exam board we're doing is Edexcel, which I haven't done before. Is the difference significant from AQA maths GCSE to Edexcel maths A-level?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bro over the summer I also forgot most of my maths .

But in lessosn they are helping us transition like we learn't Surds,Indicies,Completing the square,factorising,factorising formula. So the start of C1 is transition phase just practise what you do in class .
heythere115
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Bro over the summer I also forgot most of my maths .

But in lessosn they are helping us transition like we learn't Surds,Indicies,Completing the square,factorising,factorising formula. So the start of C1 is transition phase just practise what you do in class .
So C1 is essentially more GCSE maths? Just a little harder?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So C1 is essentially more GCSE maths? Just a little harder?
It is mostly GCSE Further Maths.

But I am telling you dont stress make sure you are good with Fractions,Surds,Factorising,comp leting the square,quadratic formula and Indicies. Your teachers will most likely help you transition.
heythere115
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
It is mostly GCSE Further Maths.

But I am telling you dont stress make sure you are good with Fractions,Surds,Factorising,comp leting the square,quadratic formula and Indicies. Your teachers will most likely help you transition.
If that's all I need to know right now, I think I'll be fine then. Thanks for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.6%
I'm not sure (54)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.2%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (577)
48.69%

Watched Threads