Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AAarrgghh! Help! My partner and I are both due to be starting our studies this year. We had applied to SFE and advised what we would be entitled to as we have a child. We got an email a few weeks ago to advised we had been awarded finance. When I logged into my account I noticed the award wasn't as much as my partners, due to me not being awarded Special Support grant and parents learning allowance.
    I queried this with SFE on 28 Aug and stated that I thought both students were awarded this. They told me that I was correct and they had made a mistake on both grants and that they would update the system and not to worry.
    Its been 2 weeks since I called and nothing changed online. I have just called them and been told that I was mis-informed and in fact I am not entitled to either grant as my partners income was to much in 2013/14 (it was £14,388). I asked what the thresholds were but she didn't know. I was told to appeal and complain, which I have just done, but it leaves us with a problem.
    We cannot afford to both study with our finances reduced by £3,200 this year. We had budgeted everything for the entire year but cannot afford such a shortfall. My partner has this week finished his job. If we have been told 2 weeks ago that we were going to have reduced finances he could have retracted his resignation, but its too late now- if he doesn't study, he will be unemployed
    I'm horrified what we will do now. Any advice? Are SFE likely to reverse their decision given their incompetance and how we have been treated? Are there any other avenues I can go down to maybe find additional funding in some way to maybe help. My partner is due to enrol on tuesday, I don't enrol until 27. I don't know what we should do?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.