Turn on thread page Beta

Do universities look down on people who have retaken alevels during a gap year? watch

ReputationRep:
    Curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lachachacha)
    I know a few people who have decided to take a gap year and retake one of their alevels during a gap year whilst benefitting from a year of private tuition.

It would seem unfair that they would then be entitled to the same uni place as someone who did just as well first time around, without spending an entire year studying just one subject with private tuition.
    For my course a lot require 3 As at A2 taken in the same year

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who have decided to take a gap year and retake one of their alevels during a gap year whilst benefitting from a year of private tuition.

It would seem unfair that they would then be entitled to the same uni place as someone who did just as well first time around, without spending an entire year studying just one subject with private tuition.
    Universities set their entry criteria to admit the kinds of students who they think will do well on their course. "Fair" has nothing to do with it.
    I know students have started/are starting courses at Cardiff, Durham, Southampton and UCL who made gap year improvements to their A levels.
    It will depend where you apply and what you apply for. If in doubt, contact admissions before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Universities set their entry criteria to admit the kinds of students who they think will do well on their course. "Fair" has nothing to do with it.
    I know students have started/are starting courses at Cardiff, Durham, Southampton and UCL who made gap year improvements to their A levels.
    It will depend where you apply and what you apply for. If in doubt, contact admissions before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But clearly you're not as capable, and therefore wouldn't do as well on the course, as someone who managed to get the grades for the course in the standard 2 years if you've had to take an entire year out just to retake a subject.

ReputationRep:
    But clearly you're not as capable, and therefore wouldn't do as well on the course, as someone who managed to get the grades for the course in the standard 2 years if you've had to take an entire year out just to retake a subject.
    I guess that's your opinion. I'd be tempted to agree if someone needed massive retakes to get themselves up from an E to an A but the reality is that for the most part Universities clearly make more nuanced decisions.
    Is someone who needs to retake their driving test a worse driver?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    I guess that's your opinion. I'd be tempted to agree if someone needed massive retakes to get themselves up from an E to an A but the reality is that for the most part Universities clearly make more nuanced decisions.
    Is someone who needs to retake their driving test a worse driver?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you can't compare it! Standard of driving improves with practice and you just need to reach the required standard to be safe on the roads in order to pass.

If you had to spend a whole year retaking one subject, even if you get a good grade in the end, you still haven't reached the required standard of ability as you had to spend an entire retaking when the majority of people were able to balance at least 3 alevels over the 2 year period, whereas someone who had to retake obviously didn't manage that and therefore may not be fit for the rigourous level of study needed to complete a degree.

ReputationRep:
    you can't compare it! Standard of driving improves with practice and you just need to reach the required standard to be safe on the roads in order to pass.

If you had to spend a whole year retaking one subject, even if you get a good grade in the end, you still haven't reached the required standard of ability as you had to spend an entire retaking when the majority of people were able to balance at least 3 alevels over the 2 year period, whereas someone who had to retake obviously didn't manage that and therefore may not be fit for the rigourous level of study needed to complete a degree.
    Gap year student here currently, so I'll give you a bit of my experience on the matter:

I achieved A,A,B in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry respectively and only 8 marks off an A* in Maths. Currently I study at a university in a foreign country and intend on coming back to the country to just retake only 1 module in maths but also take an AS in Economics, complete S4 in Maths and take a few GCSEs just for ****s and giggles.

The principle reasons for not doing better at A-levels was that I was reading into Statistics beyond my course; I mean really, were any of us really that impressed with D1 and S1 content? I continued by then going to open lectures in statistics and dedicating my time to further study by working in Data Analysis. Which leads me to my question, "If I've technically been in a university environment longer and more vigorously than all my counter parts am I -really- not cut out?"

I have no idea why you've made such intense posts on why people like me are inferior, but I assure you that me not "managing" my time or anyone else for that matter is merely an illusion. Unless you're literally talking about people who are getting stoned/drunk in exam period pretty much everyone dedicated their lives to these exams as far I know, and heck I went to a crappy public school in south London.

Oh, and realistically speaking has anything I said made me look like a bad student? Like honestly, attending foreign universities, doing further study, determined to get higher grades (even though I've met the requirements already), teaching English to refugees, improving my grades, are these things you all like down upon?

Like come on, not even going to cut me a little bit of slack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adjunct Bias)
    Gap year student here currently, so I'll give you a bit of my experience on the matter:

I achieved A,A,B in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry respectively and only 8 marks off an A* in Maths. Currently I study at a university in a foreign country and intend on coming back to the country to just retake only 1 module in maths but also take an AS in Economics, complete S4 in Maths and take a few GCSEs just for ****s and giggles.

The principle reasons for not doing better at A-levels was that I was reading into Statistics beyond my course; I mean really, were any of us really that impressed with D1 and S1 content? I continued by then going to open lectures in statistics and dedicating my time to further study by working in Data Analysis. Which leads me to my question, "If I've technically been in a university environment longer and more vigorously than all my counter parts am I -really- not cut out?"

I have no idea why you've made such intense posts on why people like me are inferior, but I assure you that me not "managing" my time or anyone else for that matter is merely an illusion. Unless you're literally talking about people who are getting stoned/drunk in exam period pretty much everyone dedicated their lives to these exams as far I know, and heck I went to a crappy public school in south London.

Oh, and realistically speaking has anything I said made me look like a bad student? Like honestly, attending foreign universities, doing further study, determined to get higher grades (even though I've met the requirements already), teaching English to refugees, improving my grades, are these things you all like down upon?

Like come on, not even going to cut me a little bit of slack?

Lol what, but you've already got great grades to get in to a good uni anyway? And you're only retaking 1 module, not an entire alevel, and you've already got in to a university anyway?

you aren't really the sort of person I was referring to :/ I meant people who get say ABE, retake the E after a year only studying the E subject and doing little else with their time, and end up with ABB and get on an ABB course, have they really achieved the same standard as someone who got ABB first time round? Personally I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    Lol what, but you've already got great grades to get in to a good uni anyway? And you're only retaking 1 module, not an entire alevel, and you've already got in to a university anyway?

you aren't really the sort of person I was referring to :/ I meant people who get say ABE, retake the E after a year only studying the E subject and doing little else with their time, and end up with ABB and get on an ABB course, have they really achieved the same standard as someone who got ABB first time round? Personally I don't think so.
    I didn't apply, I knew I was going to take a gap year from a while ago and I knew all the work I do here is great PS material so I just saved it. Eh I suppose I get what you're saying with that type of student, I mean I suppose some people are like hermits and only stick to banging out on a single A-level. Thing is though a lot of people I knew who retook were pretty proactive about their personal statement (They already have seen/done it once so there ones were typically the best) and they filled their timetables with university events to fill their PS with it. On top of that they tended to value the education a little better,-- not saying I or you don't but they know what it's like to **** up and don't want to do it again.

But realistically speaking they both have the same qualifications? Both have ABB in that case, I mean realistically speaking there are simply too many external variables to take into consideration of "Why that person didn't get it the first time, and safely got it the second.", no? I know a friend of mine who missed one of her exams because of a divorce occurring and she was in tears and was in no state to go to school. I didn't doubt for a second that she was bad, weak or even less of a student, she was just unfortunate and as a result retook the year and got ABB I believe which is where she would've been the first time apart from she even took AS Further Maths and got an A.

Too many case by case individuals, it's impossible to generalise them all because my experiences are completely different to yours evidently xD

Still, I'll agree to disagree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Curious
    Nope, not even Oxford. That said, many Law and Medicine courses don't condone it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so. Each person's circumstances is different. They may have failed in a certain subject due to unforeseen circumstances rather than simply finding it challenging. To brush off every student like that would prove counter-intuitive for universities looking for students with not only the ability but the determination and attitude to learn.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.