Turn on thread page Beta

Kahn selected as Labour's London Mayoral candidate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to him I guess. He won 59% of the vote beating the Blairite Jowell.

Kahn is to the left of Labour and his victory suggests Corbyn will run away with the leadership nomination.
    London should be Labour - it was Boris Johnson's huge personal appeal that did it for him. Don't know too much about him to be honest but he comes across fairly well.
    He'll face a stiff challenge from Zac Goldsmith who is quite likeable, detached from Westminster and an environmentalist.

I think the London election in 2016 is huge and one that may well be the first real indications of how Corbyn will do as leader.

ReputationRep:
    The Trots are coming for us! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    This represents a huge shift in where Labour positions (or is starting to position) itself on the political spectrum. Interesting to see how this pans out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    This represents a huge shift in where Labour positions (or is starting to position) itself on the political spectrum. Interesting to see how this pans out.
    Ken Livingston is a bit of a lefty and he was mare in the New Labour years.

ReputationRep:
    Good news, better than Jowell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes, but I think that Khan coupled with Corbyn and possibly Ben Watson/Stella Creasy as deputy is quite telling.

ReputationRep:
    Although obviously I have very different views from him I do have a lot of respect for him- in particular him standing up for gay marriage in the face of death threats from other Muslims.

Not a fan of goldsmith so wouldn't be bothered if he lost - would be interesting how Khan would fare against Kamall though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I think that Khan coupled with Corbyn and possibly Ben Watson/Stella Creasy as deputy is quite telling.
    It also makes it look like Corbyn is gonna win.

ReputationRep:
    It also makes it look like Corbyn is gonna win.
    Sure looks like it. Though by how much of a margin it's hard to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Although obviously I have very different views from him I do have a lot of respect for him- in particular him standing up for gay marriage in the face of death threats from other Muslims.
    That's good to know.

ReputationRep:
    This is a disaster. Khan, like Corbyn, has links to dodgy groups like CAGE.

He also has a very snide and cheap manner in the way he discusses political opponents. I think he will be steamrolled by Zac Goldsmith

ReputationRep:
    Important to note that Khan is soft-left in a Miliband sort of way as opposed to hard-left like Corbyn. He's the most right-wing candidate for mayor Labour has ever had

ReputationRep:
    That's good to know.
    Im very considerate like that!

ReputationRep:
    Thank God it's not Diane Abbott. I imagine she was planning to play the race card but she found out the person who beat her is brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

Not a fan of goldsmith so wouldn't be bothered if he lost - would be interesting how Khan would fare against Kamall though.
    Yay.

ReputationRep:
    Kahn seems a solid politician.
    He's not going to wow anyone but he'll offer a strong platform.
    I also think his background will help in a place as ethnically diverse as London.

ReputationRep:
    He was a nightmayor for Blair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    He was a nightmayor for Blair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Important to note that Khan is soft-left in a Miliband sort of way as opposed to hard-left like Corbyn. He's the most right-wing candidate for mayor Labour has ever had
    Everyone's a Trot now.

ReputationRep:
    His courageous stance on gay marriage was admirable, but I think Goldsmith is going to take the 'cult of personality' factor in persuading the London electorate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.