Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently graduated from a RG (top 15) uni with a low 2.1. Due to a troubled relationship I was in at the time, I did not really enrich my CV with legal activities designed to help me secure TCs. Thankfully, I am now out of the relationship and wish to pursue becoming a solicitor. However, I am quite unsure of what my best options are.

I am thinking about applying for winter vac schemes at a range of firms, but I'd just like people's opinions on my chances. I am somewhat apprehensive about applying to MC or even 2nd tier firms because of my degree grade, so I would like to get a clear picture so I can plan my applications effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa777)
    I have recently graduated from a RG (top 15) uni with a low 2.1. Due to a troubled relationship I was in at the time, I did not really enrich my CV with legal activities designed to help me secure TCs. Thankfully, I am now out of the relationship and wish to pursue becoming a solicitor. However, I am quite unsure of what my best options are.

I am thinking about applying for winter vac schemes at a range of firms, but I'd just like people's opinions on my chances. I am somewhat apprehensive about applying to MC or even 2nd tier firms because of my degree grade, so I would like to get a clear picture so I can plan my applications effectively.
    It isnt necessarily your grades that concern me (although will depend on how many 2.2s you have in that low 2.1 average). The bit that stands out is that you say you did not really enrich your CV. I suspect this means extra curriculars and work experience. If so, these will need to be built up to really strengthen your chances for a vac scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response JSP.

Well I have done the following:

- Work experience at three high street firms
    - Moot competition at prestigious institution
    - Volunteer at local law centre
    - Work experience at internationally renowned human rights organisation
    - Year abroad (as part of LLB with language)

And I am currently in the process of:

- Applying for CAB advisor role

Not sure if these are good enough, but it's a little more than my first post might have lead you to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa777)
    Thanks for your response JSP.

Well I have done the following:

- Work experience at three high street firms
    - Moot competition at prestigious institution
    - Volunteer at local law centre
    - Work experience at internationally renowned human rights organisation
    - Year abroad (as part of LLB with language)

And I am currently in the process of:

- Applying for CAB advisor role

Not sure if these are good enough, but it's a little more than my first post might have lead you to think.
    Then the issues is more "why commercial law", although your extra curriculars are still a little patchy and they would probably want to see stronger evidence for that, especially if your grades are not exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Then the issues is more "why commercial law", although your extra curriculars are still a little patchy and they would probably want to see stronger evidence for that, especially if your grades are not exceptional.
    Thank you.
    Would I be able to message you privately?

ReputationRep:
    Sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Would attending open/insight days at firms be more than enough to demonstrate the "why commercial law" if you can't do vacation schemes/internships as your spare time is restricted because of a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wantatc)
    Would attending open/insight days at firms be more than enough to demonstrate the "why commercial law" if you can't do vacation schemes/internships as your spare time is restricted because of a job?
    Put simply, no.

It demonstrates your willingness to pursue opportunities to learn more about the career, but on their own mean sweet FA in your actual motivation for "why law". However specific things you learn or pick up/understand from attending events like that can help explain your motivation. If you apply what you learn from open days, then they can be enough evidence of pursuing the career.

But I could say the same of work experience/vacation schemes. I've lost count of applications I have seen from people who have numerous vac schemes/work placements and yet still can't clearly explain "why law" because they fall into the trap of thinking the vacation schemes on their own say "enough".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Put simply, no.

It demonstrates your willingness to pursue opportunities to learn more about the career, but on their own mean sweet FA in your actual motivation for "why law". However specific things you learn or pick up/understand from attending events like that can help explain your motivation. If you apply what you learn from open days, then they can be enough evidence of pursuing the career.

But I could say the same of work experience/vacation schemes. I've lost count of applications I have seen from people who have numerous vac schemes/work placements and yet still can't clearly explain "why law" because they fall into the trap of thinking the vacation schemes on their own say "enough".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't it a vicious circle for those who can't secure a VS at a commercial firm when trying to intimate their reasons as to why commercial law is the choice for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Isn't it a vicious circle for those who can't secure a VS at a commercial firm when trying to intimate their reasons as to why commercial law is the choice for them?
    No - you seem to have misread what I am saying about open days (and vacation schemes).

In my opinion the fact you have done them does not automatically equate to showing career motivation. However taking the things you have learnt from them and applying them to your rationale for applying may help. I've seen plenty of candidates with endless legal work experience who still can't articulate why they want to do the job long term

Anyone who doesn't secure a vacation scheme with a commercial firm has few excuses in this day and age to try and gain information that will inform their career motivation. The amount of campus events/networking programmes/workshops/open days/competitions give plenty of access to gain the information needed. It's just about applying that information to your personal drivers and the individual firm's offering that will show someone's career motivation well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    No - you seem to have misread what I am saying about open days (and vacation schemes).

In my opinion the fact you have done them does not automatically equate to showing career motivation. However taking the things you have learnt from them and applying them to your rationale for applying may help. I've seen plenty of candidates with endless legal work experience who still can't articulate why they want to do the job long term

Anyone who doesn't secure a vacation scheme with a commercial firm has few excuses in this day and age to try and gain information that will inform their career motivation. The amount of campus events/networking programmes/workshops/open days/competitions give plenty of access to gain the information needed. It's just about applying that information to your personal drivers and the individual firm's offering that will show someone's career motivation well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I'm bummed.

I went to the MC events in 2nd year, and they were generic - look at us we made lots of money.

As a graduate, the only possibility is to attend open days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Well I'm bummed.

I went to the MC events in 2nd year, and they were generic - look at us we made lots of money.

As a graduate, the only possibility is to attend open days.
    Not true - plenty of firms take on graduates on their vacation schemes.

Even at "generic" events you often have the opportunity to ask questions that make it more tailored to what you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Not true - plenty of firms take on graduates on their vacation schemes.

Even at "generic" events you often have the opportunity to ask questions that make it more tailored to what you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with J-SP. Indeed, most of the time it's hard not to. I got a place on a commercial VS 10 years after graduating despite having no commercial experience, and a TC interview elsewhere on the "same" CV. It's all about harmonising their specific interests with yours.

btw Am now chasing pupillage instead, for related reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.