Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a new job soon and I still need to provide my proof of national insurance, however I lost the letter that I received when I was 16. So I sent off a form to HMRC that I got online to request written confirmation of my number, however I sent it off on the 20th of August and as of today, I still don't have my written confirmation. I've called them up but it's just an automated thing and it just tells me to fill in the form and send it. What shall I do?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    I have never been asked to prove my National Insurance Number. It is just something that employers ask for. I usually just email it. I did have a card somewhere once. No idea where it got to.

Good luck.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thequackingduck)
    I'm starting a new job soon and I still need to provide my proof of national insurance, however I lost the letter that I received when I was 16. So I sent off a form to HMRC that I got online to request written confirmation of my number, however I sent it off on the 20th of August and as of today, I still don't have my written confirmation. I've called them up but it's just an automated thing and it just tells me to fill in the form and send it. What shall I do?

Call HMRC on 0300 200 3500. Thats the number ive found on the direct gov website anyway.
    If that fails, look on the direct gov website to see if there are any other numbers you could call to try and sort it.

ReputationRep:
    It was with Vue Cinemas and they had asked for proof, but I told them I sent a letter requesting written confirmation but it still hasn't come. I already know the number if that would help. And they stopped issuing cards when I received my NI number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Call HMRC on 0300 200 3500. Thats the number ive found on the direct gov website anyway.
    If that fails, look on the direct gov website to see if there are any other numbers you could call to try and sort it.
    Thank you I'll have a try

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a new job soon and I still need to provide my proof of national insurance,
    If you have had a job previously, you should have pay slips which may well have your NI number printed on them. You may have old P60s if you've worked across a tax year end (the tax year ends on 5th April). When you leave employment, you should get a P45.

(The P60 shows how much you earned in the tax year from that employer; a P45 shows how much you've been paid in the tax year up to the point you leave. You give the P45 to the new employer so they can tax you at the correct rate.)

Of course, if this is your first job you won't have any of these, so will have to wait for HMRC to get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)
    If you have had a job previously, you should have pay slips which may well have your NI number printed on them. You may have old P60s if you've worked across a tax year end (the tax year ends on 5th April). When you leave employment, you should get a P45.

(The P60 shows how much you earned in the tax year from that employer; a P45 shows how much you've been paid in the tax year up to the point you leave. You give the P45 to the new employer so they can tax you at the correct rate.)

Of course, if this is your first job you won't have any of these, so will have to wait for HMRC to get back to you.
    Yep this is my first proper job as my previous one was just a family business and was cash in hand. It's been 3 weeks now, should I send another form off just in case?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I'll have a try

Unfortunately it's just automated and led to the same thing as another number I tried which told me to fill out the form which I did but hasn't got me anywhere aha! Thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably have to wait to see any response from the form that I did send, even though it has been a while. However I checked that JobCentre can confirm it, but if I've never been to it before, can this still be the case?

ReputationRep:
    As you've been waiting over 3 weeks and your employer needs the information, I think you'd be justified in sending off a new form.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...nd-individuals
    suggests that you can ring them on 0300 200 3502 and they might be able to send you the number without you needing to fill in the form -- is that the number you've already tried ringing?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is, it's just automated. It firsts asks what I'm calling for, then I say confirmation of national insurance and I say yes to the next questions of ia it for myself and is it my own number. It then just leads to them telling me to fill out the form and post it. An actual human would be grateful!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.