This discussion is closed.
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is anyone else (depending on grades) going to Merton College, Oxford this October? If so what are you studying and what offer did you get?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Stop making me feel envious!!

I wasn't good enough for Oxbridge and so didn't apply there, but I really wanted to, especially Merton for Law since it's really prestigious.

Anyway just wanted to say that, haha.

Carry on with the thread.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm hoping to apply for Economics and Management in 2004 at oxford, probably at Pembroke. What subject ya looking at, and what was your offer?

Phil
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*Jealous* Part of me really really wants to go to Merton to do Law toooooo!! But I know I have no chance so sticking with Philo at Cambridge! I'll always regret it though.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could always try if it means that much to you.

Philh
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nah, I know I have more of a chance with philosophy, and I'd probably enjoy it more too. It's just Law's a more prestigious and useful degree to have...i'll probably end up doing a conversion.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do what you enjoy more. I agree with you about the conversion, but it's probably not a good idea to talk about that at the interview etc. as they probably wouldn't appreciate it.

Phil
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've been made an offer to study Law at Merton with grades AAB (one of the A's in English).

When I applied I had no idea how prestigious MErton once and when I got there for interview I really felt out of my depth. It seems that the top schools "rank" their students and tell their most able students to apply to the prestigious colleges i.e. Merton, St Johns, Balliol. Then there was my reason for applying "nice gardens".

Still I managed to get an offer despite two interviews that i thought were disasters, if you really want to study at Merton then go for it and do not let anyone make you feel inferior/not good enough
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (165)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my education (174)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (104)
9.7%
Isolating with family (73)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (40)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (93)
8.68%
Loneliness (107)
9.98%
Financial worries (49)
4.57%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (98)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (77)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (92)
8.58%

Watched Threads