The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
Only on TSR. When you enter real life most people don't care that much about the relative prestiges of investment banks or consultancy firms and people who have heard of Deloitte would be impressed anyway. Just because it's not MBB doesn't mean that it can't be prestigious. That's like saying just because a uni isn't Oxbridge, it can't be prestigious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't give said person warrant to start demeaning others for their choice of career. They're trying to be 'arrogant' when they don't even have the substance - a legitimately top tier offer - to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Original post by CalibansCave
Exactly, you can do STEM subjects yet have non-STEM hobbies , such as literature and philosophy. Therefore you become a more rounded individual. Yet how many people who do ,say , history of art can say they can engage/even understand anything remotely scientific, let alone have it as a hobby

I agree, I think a lot of non-STEM subjects are hobbies.

It just so happens that my greatest passion in life, studying economics, also leads to a lucrative career!
Original post by cacra
I am going to blow your mind here.

Humanity has developed a tool that creates an average and is relatively unaffected by extreme results; it's called the median. And most studies into graduate prospects uses the median instead of the mean. If you studied economics, you would understand this.

And you've quite literally missed the entire point of my post - congrats. I hope your ignorance comes back to haunt you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think any other subject but economics is worth studying? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cacra
I agree, I think a lot of non-STEM subjects are hobbies.

It just so happens that my greatest passion in life, studying economics, also leads to a lucrative career!

They are hobbies and interests which can be pursued without spending 9k a year.
Reply 225
Original post by FireDwarf2
Do you think any other subject but economics is worth studying? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps Maths with the aim of doing a PHD in Economics after you have graduated. :wink:
Reply 226
Original post by CalibansCave
They are hobbies and interests which can be pursued without spending 9k a year.

They aren't spending 9k a year. The government is spending 9k a year and the productive members of society are the ones funding that government.

It is really rather sickening.
So not medicine then :wink:?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cacra
That sounds very lucrative. I am 18 and I just turned down a years experience at Deloitte where I would have been paid ~30k. I'm sure babysitters make a similar amount.

We have a massive surplus of people who are (and I don't mean to be insult you) below average intellect becoming teachers because they can think of nothing else to do; this is why the wages teachers commend is so low.

Those who can, do; those who can not, teach.

Lmfao mate, You're getting mad gassed over a gap year programme at Deloitte LMFAO i'm sure you proved to all of us how big your penis is.

Spoiler

Reply 229
Original post by FireDwarf2
So not medicine then :wink:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do mecial economics.

In seriousness though, economics isn't even the highest paying degree and some like Chemical Engineering, Dentistry and Medicine earn more.
Original post by midgemeister7
Underrated: Economics. If you don't agree, you're an idiot. Economics is the master race and anything else is not worth studying.

I'd say economics is overrated. Many economics-related careers don't even require an economics degree.
Original post by cacra
That sounds very lucrative. I am 18 and I just turned down a years experience at Deloitte where I would have been paid ~30k. I'm sure babysitters make a similar amount.

We have a massive surplus of people who are (and I don't mean to be insult you) below average intellect becoming teachers because they can think of nothing else to do; this is why the wages teachers commend is so low.

Those who can, do; those who can not, teach.

Below average intellect? Seriously? Are you that stupid? Or don't you understand how HARD it is to get the degree to teach? I got A* in High School AND College. I'm going into my second year at University and it's HARD, not EASY. People don't teach because they can't do f*ck all else, they do it because they want to give children the BEST education that can get! Without education YOU'D be a dumb a*s.

Do you want your children to do dumb or something?
Reply 232
Original post by midgemeister7
Underrated: Economics. If you don't agree, you're an idiot. Economics is the master race and anything else is not worth studying.

it is strange how trends and perceptions change.
In my days the people that went on to do economics were the ones that were not good enough to do any sciences ....
Underrated: radiography
Overrated: pharmacy
Reply 234
Original post by Shelby997
Below average intellect? Seriously? Are you that stupid? Or don't you understand how HARD it is to get the degree to teach? I got A* in High School AND College. I'm going into my second year at University and it's HARD, not EASY. People don't teach because they can't do f*ck all else, they do it because they want to give children the BEST education that can get! Without education YOU'D be a dumb a*s.

Do you want your children to do dumb or something?

I think you might want to address your (barely coherent) rant to George Bernard Shaw, the gentleman who I quoted.
Reply 235
Original post by TeeEm
it is strange how trends and perceptions change.
In my days the people that went on to do economics were the ones that were not good enough to do any sciences ....

That is still possibly what happens. Science degrees are usually significantly harder than Economics degrees but Economics graduates usually earn significantly more than Science graduates.

There is little correlation between the difficult of a degree and the life-time earnings a graduate of that degree can expect to earn. Chemistry is a testament to this.
We should give a chance to online education. In the 21st century the scope it has cannot be measured. Even the workplace has become so competitive, we all need special skills to become an achiever at work. Universities are also going online with their content and wanting to interact with as many students from around the world as possible.
Original post by luckbox
Economics is so overrated.

Way too overrated.
Original post by cacra
That is still possibly what happens. Science degrees are usually significantly harder than Economics degrees but Economics graduates usually earn significantly more than Science graduates.

There is little correlation between the difficult of a degree and the life-time earnings a graduate of that degree can expect to earn. Chemistry is a testament to this.

Your entire statement is false.
overrated: a degree in critical studies underrated: degree in general studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending