The Student Room Group

Why do most girls who dye their hair a lot have short hair?

Or medium hair like bobs

No hate it's pretty attractive. I know lots of girls with long hair too who get it done blonde every year, or Asian ones who do it long and brown or dark red, but the ones who dye their hair most or dye it colours like bright red or pink out of a box nearly always have it short or medium.

Why? Does it get damaged
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I guess economic reasons? You use less dye that way.
Reply 2
Original post by Dez
I guess economic reasons? You use less dye that way.

Really? I thought home hair dye was about £3 (nan used to do it blonde)
Bleach damages it and most bright colours need bleach. It can really dry it out and often the cheaper dyes you buy in shops have more abrasive chemicals (though not always). I had to stop bleaching mine if I wanted to keep it long. It's especially difficult to have it red etc. because you have to bleach it blondeish and then insert the other colour, I think anyway, I'm too scared to do it bright colours like that.

Could also be a personal style and what Dez said is true - I need three home boxes to cover my hair and they were about £7 each so I just went to the hairdresser who I was sure would be able to do it better than me.
Reply 4
Original post by Meninism
Or medium hair like bobs

No hate it's pretty attractive. I know lots of girls with long hair too who get it done blonde every year, or Asian ones who do it long and brown or dark red, but the ones who dye their hair most or dye it colours like bright red or pink out of a box nearly always have it short or medium.

Why? Does it get damaged

When hair is damaged it breaks off. Hair dye+hair straighteners=a lot of broken hair
Reply 5
hair dye is like £5-10 a box (some even more expensive) and long hair needs at least 2 boxes on it (and if you get your hair dyed at a salon its about £40) so possibly bc of cost, but it also does damage your hair and long hair is harder to keep in good condition in general anyway
Reply 6
Original post by emtheelf
Bleach damages it and most bright colours need bleach. It can really dry it out and often the cheaper dyes you buy in shops have more abrasive chemicals (though not always). I had to stop bleaching mine if I wanted to keep it long. It's especially difficult to have it red etc. because you have to bleach it blondeish and then insert the other colour, I think anyway, I'm too scared to do it bright colours like that.

Could also be a personal style and what Dez said is true - I need three home boxes to cover my hair and they were about £7 each so I just went to the hairdresser who I was sure would be able to do it better than me.

Is that true for going colours like brunette to blonde too? Because my grandmother (who's Irish and has naturally brown hair) goes blonde and her hair is falling out so much she has bald patches but it could just be bc she is old? :frown:

pmprin
When hair is damaged it breaks off. Hair dye+hair straighteners=a lot of broken hair

Do most girls straighten their hair that much? I thought they used a blow dry

citydeer
hair dye is like £5-10 a box (some even more expensive) and long hair needs at least 2 boxes on it (and if you get your hair dyed at a salon its about £40) so possibly bc of cost, but it also does damage your hair and long hair is harder to keep in good condition in general anyway

I didn't know it damaged it that much. Why don't girls do things like henna? A lot of the Asian girls I know do and they say it's good for hair I was even gonna do it myself bc I'm balding
Is that true for going colours like brunette to blonde too? Because my grandmother (who's Irish and has naturally brown hair) goes blonde and her hair is falling out so much she has bald patches but it could just be bc she is old? :frown:

Brunette to blonde always needs bleach/similar chemicals. Basically - if you're going lighter than your natural hair colour, you need something strong on the hair to get the hair colour out the follicles and then insert a lighter colour.

It's probably a mix of the harsh chemicals (especially if done at home) and the thinning of human hair as you age.
Reply 8

blonde will damage your hair most (due to the peroxide in it) - especially if you have been doing it for many years but yes any dye will damage your hair, which is why most people use special conditioners for dyed hair to help keep it in good condition

with your grandma it could be a mix between old age and years of dye damage
Reply 9
Original post by emtheelf
Brunette to blonde always needs bleach/similar chemicals. Basically - if you're going lighter than your natural hair colour, you need something strong on the hair to get the hair colour out the follicles and then insert a lighter colour.

It's probably a mix of the harsh chemicals (especially if done at home) and the thinning of human hair as you age.

Should I tell her to go to a salon? I'm no grandmummys boy (lol) but I'd pay for it if it makes a lot of difference
Should I tell her to go to a salon? I'm no grandmummys boy (lol) but I'd pay for it if it makes a lot of difference

Possibly - it might not help much depending on her hair type and it can be extremely expensive (mine was £85+ including the cut) but it's probably worth talking about it with the hairdresser. At the end of the day, they still have to put the chemicals on the hair and it could just be age. I doubt it'd help enough really.
Reply 11
Original post by citydeer
blonde will damage your hair most (due to the peroxide in it) - especially if you have been doing it for many years but yes any dye will damage your hair, which is why most people use special conditioners for dyed hair to help keep it in good condition

with your grandma it could be a mix between old age and years of dye damage

Does it make a difference how often you do it, I usually get it for her every 2 or 3 months? Is 6 months better?

emtheelf
Possibly - it might not help much depending on her hair type and it can be extremely expensive (mine was £85+ including the cut) but it's probably worth talking about it with the hairdresser. At the end of the day, they still have to put the chemicals on the hair and it could just be age. I doubt it'd help enough really.

Do you go to really posh hair dressers? That's so much.

I never realised hair changed so much younger girls never have their hair fall out if they dye it :frown:
Do you go to really posh hair dressers? That's so much.

I never realised hair changed so much younger girls never have their hair fall out if they dye it :frown:

Well, it's not the cheapest in town but my mum's is even more expensive :P - I think the cheapest where I am is about £55.

I'd say it's similar to how many men bald in middle/old age, hair types change and hair thins. It's just life.
Indeed, one box of hair dye costs about on £7 on average, and long hair needs two boxes. Hair needs to be dyed every month to keep roots away. If you get it done at a hairdressers then it's even more expensive.
Does it make a difference how often you do it, I usually get it for her every 2 or 3 months? Is 6 months better?

the more often you do it the more damage it will cause, the best thing to do would probably be to get some some deep conditioner for dyed hair or something similar - however i will say after hair has been dyed a lot it wont just restore itself, also the fact she is old may be contributing as hair thins out and gets weaker as you age
Bright colours especially or light colours most often need bleach, bleach breaks and weakens hair - shorter hair.
Or medium hair like bobs

Why? Does it get damaged

yes it gets very damaged, ive had to cut mine short cos hair just looks and feels horrible when it's damaged
Reply 17
Or medium hair like bobs

Why? Does it get damaged

Not sure how true this is but you can imagine it being the case because it's easier to dye a smaller amount of hair, especially if you want a dramatic result. Also, the kinds of people who like messing with their hair a lot by dyeing it might be the kinds who like cutting it a lot too.

Btw - I've dyed my hair for 11 years now, and it is halfway down my back, so it doesn't necessarily damage your hair.

Quick Reply

Latest