Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I would like to apply for a PhD at Cambridge and more specifically, at King's College. Here is my problem: if I apply in January -which is the latest date possible-, do you think that the applications for King's would be already closed or do they choose later the members of the colleges among the applicants who are accepted?
    In other words, do I need to apply quite early if I want to go to King's or is it ok if I apply, let's say in November or December?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand the process, most colleges admit people on a rolling basis, rather than waiting to receive all applications for that college and then deciding. So there may be an advantage to you applying early, as very popular colleges do evidently fill quickly. However, it will also depend on how quickly you get an offer - some departments and faculties are extremely slow, and so even if you applied early you may not get a decision in time, especially if yours is not a clear-cut admit/reject situation, as it is for many.

Just be aware that King's is one of the most oversubscribed colleges regardless, so your chances of getting in will be much reduced compared to other colleges (see the table on college applications here and select 'applications significantly higher than acceptances', on the right, and you'll see King's listed).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your helpful answer.

I know that King's is one of the most difficult to get, but as an ancient Kingsy I can't imagine myself being in another college. I'll do my best to apply in October.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Artz)
    Thanks for your helpful answer.

I know that King's is one of the most difficult to get, but as an ancient Kingsy I can't imagine myself being in another college. I'll do my best to apply in October.
    If you are an ex King's undergraduate, the custom is that you will be offered a postgraduate place. It's not a 100% guarantee, but all Colleges tend to take back their undergrads if they apply.

ReputationRep:
    I went there as an Erasmus student for one year, so I'm not sure that they're going to respect this custom. Hopefully, they will.

Thanks for your answer!

ReputationRep:
    This is purely anecdotal, but a friend on my MPhil had spent his year abroad (he attended an American uni) at one of the colleges in Cambridge. He applied to that one again for the MPhil, and they took him back, so fingers crossed for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    This is purely anecdotal, but a friend on my MPhil had spent his year abroad (he attended an American uni) at one of the colleges in Cambridge. He applied to that one again for the MPhil, and they took him back, so fingers crossed for you!

I really appreciate. Even if this is just an anecdote, I confess it's good to read these kinds of stories. Still, I'll do my best to apply as soon as possible -which is not that easy when you're from abroad since you have to translate everything and to prove your language skills.

Thanks for cheering up!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.