Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I am going to be taking my LNAT next week for entry in 2016. I will be applying to LSE and KCL (my preferred choices).
    I have been doing some practice questions for the LNAT and I would like to know if anybody would be kind enough to give me some feedback on an essay question I just completed.
    Thanks,

Should the Law require people to vote in General Elections?
    The current method creates a system which entitles anybody over 18 to vote if they wish to do so. This therefore means that someone interested in the politics of the country may vote to determine the country’s election outcome if they believe a certain party will provide a better lifestyle for them. This is a fair method which entitles those with political interest to influence the election outcome.

If a law was enforced ensuring that all citizens vote in the general election, this may ruin the representation of results for the population. This is because those without political knowledge or an interest in the general election may have to vote from a lack of knowledge or care and thus their choice will not reflect the choice of the majority of the population.

It can be considered to be inequitable to require certain people to vote who may not be in a suitable position to do so. This may include the elderly or those with needs or in care. Therefore, what would be the penalty for avoiding voting for the general election and how will they be prosecuted? If the law has certain exceptions for people in these circumstances it may thus confuse the system and make it more difficult to implement.

On the other hand, people may argue that if everybody votes it will create a more representative result for the wants of the whole population of our country. This therefore means that the election results can reflect the choices of the majority population. This can be seen as a more valid system. However, I will make the assumption that 1/3 of the population choose not to vote even though they are entitled to. This may be because they have little political knowledge or feel that none of the parties are promising changes that will benefit them. They will therefore be required to vote for a party they may not truly believe in and thus will provide a choice based on a guess which will decrease the validity of results and ruin the outcome of the general election.

Therefore, it seems more reasonable to believe that the current system for voting in the general election is the superior method. It provides a more suitable outcome of results and entitles everybody to vote if they wish to do so. It will avoid “random votes” from those who have no interest in the general election and is more democratic, better reflecting the views of our country’s population.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.