Turn on thread page Beta

Help with A-level options? I'm so lost... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of A-levels, and I have chosen History, Government and Politics, Economics and Maths. However, I'm pretty certain that I want to drop maths; just from a week of starting it I'm already beginning to hate it. It has never been a subject that I have enjoyed. Despite the fact I got an A grade at GCSE I still don't think I'll be able to cope.

The fact that I don't know what I want to do at University makes the process of choosing another subject more challenging. From the options that the sixth form offers I would choose between:

Psychology
    Religious Studies
    German
    English Literature- Worried there would be too much writing, along with history.
    >I really wanted to do Classics, but it clashes with Politics in the time tables

Any advice would be appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have also just started A-level maths and got an A for it at gcse and I must admit it is already getting quite tricky, I am having to do loads of work outside of lesson just to keep up to speed. I don't really mind so much though because I like maths when I understand it. If you're really not enjoying it though then its not really worth spending 4/5 hours every week on a subject you have no passion for. I am also doing psychology which i'm really enjoying so far and it really makes you think and open your mind. One of my friends is doing religious studies and he loves it and another is doing german and she likes it but finds it quite tricky at times.

Maybe if you looked at the lists of courses that universities offer then you could write down the courses you'd consider doing? Thats what I did and it made me realise I wanted to go into geology instead of medicine. I recommend starting off with Cambridge's courses because they have a wide variety and their website is really informative . Even if you don't want to go there, its still helpful to see which courses appeal to you most You may also want to find out if the courses you like the sound of the most require A-level maths. If they don't, then you might as well drop it. I hope i've helped in some way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pavilionaudio)
    I'm in my first year of A-levels, and I have chosen History, Government and Politics, Economics and Maths. However, I'm pretty certain that I want to drop maths; just from a week of starting it I'm already beginning to hate it. It has never been a subject that I have enjoyed. Despite the fact I got an A grade at GCSE I still don't think I'll be able to cope.

The fact that I don't know what I want to do at University makes the process of choosing another subject more challenging. From the options that the sixth form offers I would choose between:

Psychology
    Religious Studies
    German
    English Literature- Worried there would be too much writing, along with history.
    >I really wanted to do Classics, but it clashes with Politics in the time tables

Any advice would be appreciated...
    Don't worry, I had the same problem at the start of my AS year after getting an A at GCSE and ended up dropping it for Film Studies (which I loved). I'd say out of those options that Psychology would be the most beneficial as most unis class it as a science A2. But... do whichever one you think you'll enjoy most and you'll likely get a higher grade. Also look at uni requirements for the course you want (I can suggest some useful websites) and see if it needs Maths. Just out of interest, what would you like to do at uni?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.