Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and starting to feel going to university was a waste of money to me. I'm going into my second year and all i can think about is money. (also I'm dyslexic)

I've had a **** summer when it comes to employment, I work for a supermarket and they kept cutting my hours argo hardly any income, and so i haven't been able to pay for a lot of things i wanted to (a months insurance on my mothers car etc).

Also continuing with University also means my only employer of 5 nearly 6 years is a supermarket and so makes me look like i'm ONLY suited for supermarket work! I'm not even very good at what i'm studying in university (Illustration) i'm the weakest in the class and their for probably wont even be employed in my field. The only good thing thats come out of me going to uni is getting away from my parents during term time and my boyfriend (who is way ahead of me when it comes to life, job mortgage car the lot)

I genuinely feel like i'm being left behind and that some were in my life i've gone horribly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Littleleopard)
    I'm 22 and starting to feel going to university was a waist of money to me. I'm going into my second year and all i can think about is money.

I've had a **** summer when it comes to employment, I work for a supermarket and they kept cutting my hours argo hardly any income, and so i haven't been able to pay for a lot of things i wanted to (a months insurance on my mothers car etc).

Also continuing with University also means my only employer of 5 nearly 6 years is a supermarket and so makes me look like i'm ONLY suited for supermarket work! I'm not even very good at what i'm studying in university (Illustration) i'm the weakest in the class and their for probably wont even be employed in my field. The only good thing thats come out of me going to uni is getting away from my parents during term time and my boyfriend (who is way ahead of me when it comes to life, job mortgage car the lot)

I genuinely feel like i'm being left behind and that some were in my life i've gone horribly wrong.
    *waste of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samboosa0)
    *waste of money
    Thanks yere I also have Dyslexic. (Utterly embarrassed right now) i do have a spell checker think on my pc but sometimes it fails me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks yere I also have Dyslexic. (Utterly embarrassed right now) i do have a spell checker think on my pc but sometimes it fails me.
    No problem and don't worry about it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :rofl: Ahhh, I LOVE Dyslexic people :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    :rofl: Ahhh, I LOVE Dyslexic people :love:
    hehe thanks

ReputationRep:
    *Dyslexia, but it's alright.

You'll be grand.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and starting to feel going to university was a waste of money to me. I'm going into my second year and all i can think about is money. (also I'm dyslexic)

Two things
    1) Many grad jobs just require a degree- doing Graphic Design doesn't mean you can only get into Graphic Design roles
    2) It's normal for a fresh grad to have only worked in retail and as long as you talk about the transferable skills you've gained e.g. teamwork then employers will value it. Obviously if you know what career you want post uni then relevant work experience in that area will help too.
    If you arent sure go and visit your uni careers service- that is what they are there for. They can also help with proofreading of cover letters & application answers because employers don't look favourably on spelling mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Many people on my course weren't that 'great' (I did Graphic Design) in the first year but improved a lot over the following two years. A few people received a 2:2 and everyone else got higher so don't let that get you down. My advice is don't worry about your skill level, those at the lower end seemed to put more effort in to produce more work and still got brilliant marks.

Don't worry about what you're going to do after Uni, I know most say you should but right now your priority is getting through the course. I was lucky enough to get a design job when I graduated but some of my friends are doing all sorts of jobs not linked to their degree and enjoying it (mostly IT).

Easier said than done but you can look for another job? I worked at B&Q during the three years, plenty of opportunities around.

ReputationRep:
    as a former interviewer let me assure you that having a degree does offer an advantage over not having one and having worked in retail is better that not having had a paid job at all. A lot is in how you present yourself - I've heard someone talk of working on storage and retrieval of information when they'd done the filing. If you have turned up on time for your job you're showing reliability. You've managed not to annoy your colleagues enough to get fired so talk about team work, customer service and dealing with unhappy people. Never be negative - if asked abut fault talk about how you work to overcome them. Never criticise your employer, disloyalty is disliked.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.