Turn on thread page Beta

Currently homeless, moving up north, can they deny me benefits? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i have a fairly big problem here. I'm currently homeless.
    I wont go into detail about it, but family issues will cover the basics. I've been couch surfing for 2 months now whilst i've been looking for somewhere to live and working a bit.

It's too expensive down here, so i plan to move up north, possibly Lancashire area, mainly at a place in Darwen for 280 a month, the landlords agreed to let me live there with a guarentor and paying 6 months rent in advanced.

So my worry is applying for benefits, i fit under all the sections and i'm entitled to what i am told i am, but i'm terrified of getting up there. Having no work and them telling me i cant claim benefits. when all i have is 6k savings to live on (even less after i've paid all the fees and payed for moving my stuff and everything)

Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    If you fit the criteria then why wouldnt u be able to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    If you fit the criteria then why wouldnt u be able to?
    Heard a lot of horror stories.
    That and so many people abuse the system that i'm afraid they will just write me off as young and naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackm234)
    So i have a fairly big problem here. I'm currently homeless.
    I wont go into detail about it, but family issues will cover the basics. I've been couch surfing for 2 months now whilst i've been looking for somewhere to live and working a bit.

It's too expensive down here, so i plan to move up north, possibly Lancashire area, mainly at a place in Darwen for 280 a month, the landlords agreed to let me live there with a guarentor and paying 6 months rent in advanced.

So my worry is applying for benefits, i fit under all the sections and i'm entitled to what i am told i am, but i'm terrified of getting up there. Having no work and them telling me i cant claim benefits. when all i have is 6k savings to live on (even less after i've paid all the fees and payed for moving my stuff and everything)

Does anyone have any advice?
    I hope so, I don't really know anything about the whole process, but if you know you fit the criteria they can't say no, and if you tell them you're willing to find work if they'd help you, that'd also be helpful

A word of warning, never miss any of the appointments, I hear they stop your benefits without warning if you're late or forget about an appointment

I wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackm234)
    Heard a lot of horror stories.
    That and so many people abuse the system that i'm afraid they will just write me off as young and naive.
    How young are you? Haven't the tories recently brought in a think banning Housing support for under 21's or 25's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    How young are you? Haven't the tories recently brought in a think banning Housing support for under 21's or 25's?
    21 shortly coming on 22

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.