The Student Room Group

Applying without the grades

I want to apply for politics and economics at Surrey. They require a grade A in maths at gcse.. I achieved a B in igcse maths, one mark from an A..my predicted grades are AAA, should I apply?
Original post by Prina_R
I want to apply for politics and economics at Surrey. They require a grade A in maths at gcse.. I achieved a B in igcse maths, one mark from an A..my predicted grades are AAA, should I apply?

Yes still apply, but make sure you apply for unis asking for the grades you actually have as well. A levels are always more important, so Surrey are likely to give you an offer if you have a good personal statement
Reply 2
Are you doing Maths A Level?
Original post by Prina_R

Call and ask. Thats the best thing you can do. You may have to resit maths though. But honestly it will all seem fairly easy now compared to anything you did at A level, in terms of the workload that is.
Original post by Prina_R

Universities can be surprisingly tough on conditions like this. Some of them use GCSE Maths & English Language results as a filter to cut down the number of applicants given offers.

Your best bet is to ask directly whether they would consider you or whether you are wasting your time. If they say it's ok, get it in writing in an email so they can't renege later on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Prina_R

What did you get in as level?
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Universities can be surprisingly tough on conditions like this. Some of them use GCSE Maths & English Language results as a filter to cut down the number of applicants given offers.

Your best bet is to ask directly whether they would consider you or whether you are wasting their time. If they say it's ok, get it in writing in an email so they can't renege later on.

I called and they said they can try and allow me but probably not. I'm going to the open day tomorrow and will ask in person. Thanks for your help :smile:
If they are a requirement then that's that, I'm afraid!
Reply 8
Original post by Windies
What did you get in as level?

A in sociology, A in politics, B in economics, C in psychology..dropping psychology
Reply 9
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
Call and ask. Thats the best thing you can do. You may have to resit maths though. But honestly it will all seem fairly easy now compared to anything you did at A level, in terms of the workload that is.

I called and they said they can try and allow me but probably not. I'm going to the open day tomorrow and will ask in person. I dont want to retake an exam for one university though..others ask for a grade B at gcse. Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Prina_R
I called and they said they can try and allow me but probably not. I'm going to the open day tomorrow and will ask in person. Thanks for your help :smile:

If you get to talk to an admissions tutor or similar about this and they are very positive, get their name and email them to make sure they are just as encouraging away from the open day - when they will probably say anything to get their numbers up!
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
If you get to talk to an admissions tutor or similar about this and they are very positive, get their name and email them to make sure they are just as encouraging away from the open day - when they will probably say anything to get their numbers up!

Okay thanks
It's a requirement! It follows that you need to get it :redface:
Original post by Prina_R
I called and they said they can try and allow me but probably not. I'm going to the open day tomorrow and will ask in person. I dont want to retake an exam for one university though..others ask for a grade B at gcse. Thanks for your help :smile:

This is letting you down gently. It means no.
Reply 14
I've decided to apply. If I have a really good personal statement and reference and I've had a lot of work experience, eg) investment bank..they may allow it. If I don't get an offer, oh well, at least I tried

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending