Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have always used my middle name, never my first. Now I am starting uni I want my ID card to have my real name on it, as in the name I am known by. The university has said the only way I can do this is to change my name legally. has anyone else had this happen and is there any other way I can get around this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouiseR1980)
    I have always used my middle name, never my first. Now I am starting uni I want my ID card to have my real name on it, as in the name I am known by. The university has said the only way I can do this is to change my name legally. has anyone else had this happen and is there any other way I can get around this?
    It's not your legal name, so why would they allow it on an ID badge?

ReputationRep:
    It has been on all ID for jobs in the past so why all of a sudden am I not allowed to use it?

ReputationRep:
    It has been on all ID for jobs in the past so why all of a sudden am I not allowed to use it?
    A job ID badge is really not important and only applicable to that company. Your student ID is far more important and used to grant access to all other Student Unions.

ReputationRep:
    Because it isn't your name...

Most jobs have an option to be known by a nickname or a preferred name, but ID has to have your legal name on it, otherwise it isn't valid ID.

ReputationRep:
    Like you, I've been known by my middle name all my life and it's never been a problem, tbh. You don't need to change your name legally - it is your legal name.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Nope, my middle name is so embarrassing and so not me :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Nope, my middle name is so embarrassing and so not me :rofl:

What is it? Whisper me, my ear is ready...

Change your name legally to put your actual name?

ReputationRep:
    It was local governement and NHS, not just small companies. Id have thought NHS ID was more important that a student card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    What is it? Whisper me, my ear is ready...

Change your name legally to put your actual name?
    Kinda like giving my parents the middle finger that though

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a middle name :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Kinda like giving my parents the middle finger that though
    No I'm saying is that what you're doing, changing your name? Your Uni ID requires your real name. You said that is what you want? So you went by an informal, unofficial name whilst working. Is that what you changed your name to? If not, just...get your real name...on your ID...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Mine is far too formal to be used as a first name. But if I did use it, at least people would be able to spell and say it properly. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    No I'm saying is that what you're doing, changing your name? Your Uni ID requires your real name. You said that is what you want? So you went by an informal, unofficial name whilst working. Is that what you changed your name to? If not, just...get your real name...on your ID...
    No I wont be changing my name, I will keep the one I have been known as forever.

If I introduce myself to anyone, I will use my known name, then show them someone elses ID. Even the Uni have said this will cause problems.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.