Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a few weird sorts of questions...

I have recently just started sixth form. I love maths, but I don't believe I have that natural talent that you hear some people have. For GCSE I had to work very hard to attain an A grade. In class today, I was speaking with a year 13 that is retaking C1, C2 & S1. He claims that he had a private tutor and took loads of past papers belonging to the Edexcel exam board, but he achieved only an E. Does A level really require you to have natural talent because when I heard what he said I kind of got freaked out?

I see a lot of people on TSR achieving high maths grades at A level. Is there a way anyone could recommend that I study so that I get atleast an A?

ReputationRep:
    A level maths is hardly Fermat's Last Theorem, average person can learn it. Unless you're really really dumb. Most important thing are good teachers. Ask questions, further explanation for what you don't understand. It's very well explained in Edexcel books as well, step by step. Use free online videos (khan academy, examsolutions). When doing past papers don't half arse it like that guy probably did. make sure you get every question right and fully understand it. If you can't still understand it with the book and videos and friends, make a note of it to ask your teacher for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenieMuch)
    I have a few weird sorts of questions...

I have recently just started sixth form. I love maths, but I don't believe I have that natural talent that you hear some people have. For GCSE I had to work very hard to attain an A grade. In class today, I was speaking with a year 13 that is retaking C1, C2 & S1. He claims that he had a private tutor and took loads of past papers belonging to the Edexcel exam board, but he achieved only an E. Does A level really require you to have natural talent because when I heard what he said I kind of got freaked out?

I see a lot of people on TSR achieving high maths grades at A level. Is there a way anyone could recommend that I study so that I get atleast an A?
    Hey don't panic, if you got an A at GCSE and are prepared to work hard, it is totally do-able! I would really recommend using http://www.examsolutions.net/ especially after each past paper you do, to go over every question you didn't get. Other than that, thoroughly practising each topic as you go along is key. But don't stress too much, if you feel like you're understanding everything, you're probably doing absolutely fine, just make sure you sort out anything you don't get as early as possible!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above posts. ExamSolutions is great & do as many practice questions as possible! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think it's to do with past papers, but to do with how well you understand the concepts, this is where the textbook comes handy because you want to be able to answer every question in that book.
    Past Papers are vital but I believe covering those questions in the textbook and familiarizing yourself with the concepts and building your understanding is important.

You also have to be consistent, so while you're studying C2 you have to practice C1 at the same time as C2 so that you don't forget the concepts easily.
    Maybe going back over the GCSE A/A* concepts is also important so that you can cover the content of C1 and C2 easily. MathsWatch is good.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friends GCSE & AS grades

Me: GCSE: B (resat A); AS: B
    Friend: GCSE: A; AS: B
    Friend 2: GCSE: A; AS: B and E in further
    Friend 3: GCSE: A; AS: E
    Friend 4: GCSE: A*; AS: B and D in further
    Friend 5: GCSE: A; AS: B

ReputationRep:
    Also, I forgot to say do some solomon worksheets they will extend your knowledge

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.