The Student Room Group

Which colloquial terms annoy you the most?

I do not like the following colloquial terms used by the young people of today.

"I'm dead":

You are NOT dead, if you were dead you would not be able to post or say that you are dead! Saying this may offend people who have lost loved ones...
(My sister says it a lot, I remind her that her friend is dead and that she is very much alive)

"It's not that deep." I do not understand why people say that.

"Selfie"

What's wrong with saying that you've taken a photo of yourself?
"Bae"

I do not understand why people say this...

Which ones do you not like?

Scroll to see replies

''Off for a cheeky nandos with the lads''
Original post by MylittlePlusle

(My sister says it a lot, I remind her that her friend is dead and that she is very much alive)

Wow :/
Original post by somemightsay888
Wow :/

She's not dead. She shouldn't saying that she's dead It's stupid. It's like how people use the word literally That's annoying too!
Notice how bae I am, pluslechan! We are gonna be so kawaiii with our unreal furanimals!
cheeky nandos ffs :rofl:
Reply 6
Bae, buff, on fleek, gassed (I don't even know what this mean), reckt, cheeky Nandos and many more. :angry: It makes me cringe.
"innit"

"bruh"

"weyyyyyy"
I do not like the following colloquial terms used by the young people of today.

"I'm dead":

You are NOT dead, if you were dead you would not be able to post or say that you are dead! Saying this may offend people who have lost loved ones...

"It's not that deep." I do not understand why people say that.

"Selfie"

What's wrong with saying that you've taken a photo of yourself?
"Bae"

I do not understand why people say this...

Which ones do you not like?

"I'm dead" means you're laughing so hard you're about to die, it feels like. Don't you laugh? :frown: I however never say it unless online. I believe in social situations, use all the flair in the world :smile:

All the other words you listed are demon spawns of poor use of social media. :talkhand:
Original post by Fleming1928
''Off for a cheeky nandos with the lads''

I don't even understand this one. I hear it all the time but never knew the origin of adding "cheeky."
Original post by Cherie Amour
"I'm dead" means you're laughing so hard you're about to die, it feels like. Don't you laugh? :frown: I however never say it unless online. I believe in social situations, use all the flair in the world :smile:

All the other words you listed are demon spawns of poor use of social media. :talkhand:

I know what it means The meaning it itself is silly too. If you were laughing so much you were going to die you would be in A&E.

I do laugh like most humans My mother was shocked that I laugh.

I do wonder if tickle torture has ever killed someone..

Someone has died of laughter in history.
I know what it means The meaning it itself is silly too. If you were laughing so much you were going to die you would be in A&E.

I do laugh like most humans My mother was shocked that I laugh.

I do wonder if tickle torture has ever killed someone..

Someone has died of laughter in history.

I guess you could go into cardiac arrest?
I don't even understand this one. I hear it all the time but never knew the origin of adding "cheeky."

When you're out with the lads and you're having a look in JD and you might fancy the Curry Club at 'Spoons but then your mate Callum who's an absolute ledge and the Archbishop of Banterbury says "Oi brevs let's have a cheeky Nandos instead" and you'll think "Top. Let's smash it."
Reply 13
omg...lighten up already. jeez. you're not socially appealing either.
I guess you could go into cardiac arrest?

I would think it would stop you from breathing. I'm not too sure.
Original post by tehforum
When you're out with the lads and you're having a look in JD and you might fancy the Curry Club at 'Spoons but then your mate Callum who's an absolute ledge and the Archbishop of Banterbury says "Oi brevs let's have a cheeky Nandos instead" and you'll think "Top. Let's smash it."

This looks familiar. And I know the context in which the saying is used, while refraining myself from using it. But I still don't know how the cheeky got there.
Original post by spv
omg...lighten up already. jeez. you're not socially appealing either.

Socially appealng? I have nine friends.

''When you're out with the lads and you're having a look in JD and you might fancy the Curry Club at 'Spoons but then your mate Callum who's an absolute ledge and the Archbishop of Banterbury says "Oi brevs let's have a cheeky Nandos instead" and you'll think "Top. Let's smash it." ''
Socially appealng? I have nine friends.

How do you define friend?
Original post by TorpidPhil
How do you define friend?

Someone that I have at least one thing in common with that I like conversing with.

Quick Reply

Latest