Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm off to uni in September and I would really love to play a team sport. Rugby or football maybe.

I am however really worried I'm just going to embarrass myself and everyone will make fun of me. I'm quite badly asthmatic so Intense aerobic exercise is hard for me.

That doesn't mean I won't try to do my best to keep up but I probably won't. I've tried really hard the past 1.5years to get fitter and I've lost about 30kg. I've got a while to go yet but I've made a brand new healthy eating and gym plan which I'm ready to implement and stick with at uni.

I was hoping to play/train with the second team, not the first.

Should I join the rugby team during first year? Or should I spend the first year in the gym till I'm relatively fit? My self confidence is about zero and I was hoping that playing a sport would help me. I just don't want it to backfire and everyone to make fun of that fat kid who's struggling in the background..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i say go for it man! Uni is a good time to try new things because so many people will be doing it with you. If anything, your weight gives you an advantage in rugby so you should be able to keep up. If you start having breathing problems from the exercise, then just tell them you need a time out and that you have asthma, they will obviously understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samyz123)
    Yeah, i say go for it man! Uni is a good time to try new things because so many people will be doing it with you. If anything, your weight gives you an advantage in rugby so you should be able to keep up. If you start having breathing problems from the exercise, then just tell them you need a time out and that you have asthma, they will obviously understand.
    Are people as cruel at uni as in school? I got bullied relentlessly at school for my asthma and weight which meant I had to quit rugby in year 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollonandosyeah)
    Are people as cruel at uni as in school? I got bullied relentlessly at school for my asthma and weight which meant I had to quit rugby in year 8
    yeah id expect people to be a lot more mature about it in uni. we're not year 7's anymore ahah. i doubt you'll be teased at all.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm off to uni in September and I would really love to play a team sport. Rugby or football maybe.

I am however really worried I'm just going to embarrass myself and everyone will make fun of me. I'm quite badly asthmatic so Intense aerobic exercise is hard for me.

That doesn't mean I won't try to do my best to keep up but I probably won't. I've tried really hard the past 1.5years to get fitter and I've lost about 30kg. I've got a while to go yet but I've made a brand new healthy eating and gym plan which I'm ready to implement and stick with at uni.

I was hoping to play/train with the second team, not the first.

Should I join the rugby team during first year? Or should I spend the first year in the gym till I'm relatively fit? My self confidence is about zero and I was hoping that playing a sport would help me. I just don't want it to backfire and everyone to make fun of that fat kid who's struggling in the background..
    I wouldn't worry about it mate, 99% of joining the rugby team is just getting drunk anyway.

The 1st team is usually really competitive, that isn't to say you won't get in but it just means you'll need to put in a lot of effort. The 2nd and 3rd teams are, however, usually much more accommodating.

What's your gym plan like btw? I've been going gym for a little over a year and I was really only doing it to impress girls. But I'm going to Cardiff and I would absolutely love to play Varsity at the Millennium stadium so I've started doing a massive amount of squats and deadlifts as well as a lot of cardio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cacra;[url="tel:59281611")
    59281611[/url]]I wouldn't worry about it mate, 99% of joining the rugby team is just getting drunk anyway.

The 1st team is usually really competitive, that isn't to say you won't get in but it just means you'll need to put in a lot of effort. The 2nd and 3rd teams are, however, usually much more accommodating.

What's your gym plan like btw? I've been going gym for a little over a year and I was really only doing it to impress girls. But I'm going to Cardiff and I would absolutely love to play Varsity at the Millennium stadium so I've started doing a massive amount of squats and deadlifts as well as a lot of cardio.
    Yeah I know I won't get into the first team anytime soon aha I'm more than happy to play and train with the second and third team. It's not even about the competition for me, I just want to be a part of a team. You know what I mean? I miss that sense of camaraderie you get with a sport team and the whole social aspects as well as getting fitter. Do you think there will be any room to accommodate someone really unfit? I'm not exaggerating I'm one of the most unfit people around

I'm very new to the gym so I'm only doing beginners stuff in my plan focussing on compound movements. Nutrition wise I got a lot of recipes from an app called Fit Men Cook and bodybuilding.com.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there will be any room to accommodate someone really unfit? I'm not exaggerating I'm one of the most unfit people around.
    There's only one way to find out and that's to just try! It's easier said than done but don't worry about embarrassing yourself, no one's going to think anything less of you for trying. If you're rejected don't take it personally and come back as a stronger applicant next year.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.