Revision tips? Staying awake and starting early...

Watch
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
Ive just started y12 and after disappointing gcse results I would like to get As this year in my As levels- Politics, German and Economics.

I get 6 hours a sleep a night and sometimes 5 hours because of my phone etc... I just started reading a thick politics book on the lesson i learnt today but after 10 minuted i felt extremely tired. Am i doing something wrong maybe sleeping times?

What revision did you do for your topics and how did you motivate yourself to start early (september- december)

many thanks.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bigpaddy27)
Hi,
Ive just started y12 and after disappointing gcse results I would like to get As this year in my As levels- Politics, German and Economics.

I get 6 hours a sleep a night and sometimes 5 hours because of my phone etc... I just started reading a thick politics book on the lesson i learnt today but after 10 minuted i felt extremely tired. Am i doing something wrong maybe sleeping times?

What revision did you do for your topics and how did you motivate yourself to start early (september- december)

many thanks.
Put your phone away after 12 so you can get at least 8 hours of sleep.
Prina_R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't get good gcse's, Bs and C's..I was predicted CDDD in my AS..I was really disappointed with them. I'm similar to you, I sleep for 7hrs/8 hrs and am still really tired.
I do economics, politics, sociology and psychology
Revision wise - I got revision guides for sociology and politics which were sooo good! For economics I used tutor2u and economics help which is good. I had a tutor as well.
I wrote revision notes for all my subjects in note books which takes a lot of commitment..
I also read out loud. I learn the word then pretend to teach it to someone, eg) a parent or wall..(weird I know) but it's meant to be really effective and it works
Past papers are so important! The mistake I did at gcse was not doing many past papers. I did sooo many for my AS subjects and it really helped!
I guess I wanted to prove it to myself that I am clever and I'm not going to get D's at AS
In the end I got AABC and now I'm predicted AAA for my a levels...before I was predicted CCD, now AAA.
A levels are hard and require a lot of work but be organised and you will be fine. I actually preferred it to Gcse's because I love the subjects I do
Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get 8 or more hours of sleep a day if you can.

Remind yourself of the grades you need to get to the uni you want to and how it's easier to go over little bits of information rather than leave it till the end to cram in a lot.
samboosa0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bigpaddy27)
Hi,

many thanks.
I would advise to not burn yourself out. Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep and keep your revision consistent throughout the year. I did none of the subjects that you are doing but I will advise you do do as many past papers as you can. No matter what grades you got at GCSEs, you can turn it around at A levels. To keep yourself motivated, just think about opening your results on results day and seeing the grades that you really want and getting into university.
username1200599
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With 6 hours of sleep you'll not be able to learn effectively.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need more hours of sleep at night, no way of getting around it, Just sleep. Take this from an A2 student who did this all of last year and it didn't go so well for her...
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In AS level to acquire an A will many students not achieve it due to an intelligence barrier or is it simply- A grade= hard work...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.65%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.47%

Watched Threads