Turn on thread page Beta

Revision tips? Staying awake and starting early... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Ive just started y12 and after disappointing gcse results I would like to get As this year in my As levels- Politics, German and Economics.

I get 6 hours a sleep a night and sometimes 5 hours because of my phone etc... I just started reading a thick politics book on the lesson i learnt today but after 10 minuted i felt extremely tired. Am i doing something wrong maybe sleeping times?

What revision did you do for your topics and how did you motivate yourself to start early (september- december)

many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Hi,
    Ive just started y12 and after disappointing gcse results I would like to get As this year in my As levels- Politics, German and Economics.

I get 6 hours a sleep a night and sometimes 5 hours because of my phone etc... I just started reading a thick politics book on the lesson i learnt today but after 10 minuted i felt extremely tired. Am i doing something wrong maybe sleeping times?

What revision did you do for your topics and how did you motivate yourself to start early (september- december)

many thanks.
    Put your phone away after 12 so you can get at least 8 hours of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get good gcse's, Bs and C's..I was predicted CDDD in my AS..I was really disappointed with them. I'm similar to you, I sleep for 7hrs/8 hrs and am still really tired.
    I do economics, politics, sociology and psychology
    Revision wise - I got revision guides for sociology and politics which were sooo good! For economics I used tutor2u and economics help which is good. I had a tutor as well.
    I wrote revision notes for all my subjects in note books which takes a lot of commitment..
    I also read out loud. I learn the word then pretend to teach it to someone, eg) a parent or wall..(weird I know) but it's meant to be really effective and it works
    Past papers are so important! The mistake I did at gcse was not doing many past papers. I did sooo many for my AS subjects and it really helped!
    I guess I wanted to prove it to myself that I am clever and I'm not going to get D's at AS
    In the end I got AABC and now I'm predicted AAA for my a levels...before I was predicted CCD, now AAA.
    A levels are hard and require a lot of work but be organised and you will be fine. I actually preferred it to Gcse's because I love the subjects I do
    Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Get 8 or more hours of sleep a day if you can.

Remind yourself of the grades you need to get to the uni you want to and how it's easier to go over little bits of information rather than leave it till the end to cram in a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Hi,

many thanks.
    I would advise to not burn yourself out. Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep and keep your revision consistent throughout the year. I did none of the subjects that you are doing but I will advise you do do as many past papers as you can. No matter what grades you got at GCSEs, you can turn it around at A levels. To keep yourself motivated, just think about opening your results on results day and seeing the grades that you really want and getting into university.

ReputationRep:
    With 6 hours of sleep you'll not be able to learn effectively.

ReputationRep:
    You need more hours of sleep at night, no way of getting around it, Just sleep. Take this from an A2 student who did this all of last year and it didn't go so well for her...

ReputationRep:
    In AS level to acquire an A will many students not achieve it due to an intelligence barrier or is it simply- A grade= hard work...?

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.