Turn on thread page Beta

Men are more and more under threat! watch

In the West, men are becoming more and more alienated.

This has become apparent during the Charlotte Proudman sexism row.

We all have to think over and over about things we say even though it's not offensive, not misogynistic and not sexist.

I should be allowed to comment on the appearance of a woman I find attractive without being called a pig.

This whole ordeal is ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    She felt insulted and objectified because she was being messaged on LinkedIn about her physical appearance, rather than her professional skills and qualifications. To be honest I think her reaction was justified.

ReputationRep:
    I agree! OP join the meninist society

QUOTEhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items...rrow-10x10.png=cherryblossoming;59280933]She felt insulted and objectified because she was being messaged on LinkedIn about her physical appearance, rather than her professional skills and qualifications. To be honest I think her reaction was justified.[ QUOTEhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items...rrow-10x10.png]

There was no objectification.

"In social philosophy, objectification means treating a person as a thing."

As far as I can see, he was complimenting her appearance as a woman, not an object or thing.

So you think it was justified to publicly vilify an idiotic man, both ruining your own career and his?

You're a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    QUOTEhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items...rrow-10x10.png=cherryblossoming;59280933]She felt insulted and objectified because she was being messaged on LinkedIn about her physical appearance, rather than her professional skills and qualifications. To be honest I think her reaction was justified.[ QUOTEhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items...rrow-10x10.png]

There was no objectification.

"In social philosophy, objectification means treating a person as a thing."

As far as I can see, he was complimenting her appearance as a woman, not an object or thing.

So you think it was justified to publicly vilify an idiotic man, both ruining your own career and his?

You're a joke.
    LMAO, that's not how it works mate.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism won't become a thing. Most normal people men and women like receiving compliments. There will be backlash against stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Feminism won't become a thing. Most normal people men and women like receiving compliments. There will be backlash against stuff like this.
    I don't because women usually do it to get money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meninism)
    I don't because women usually do it to get money
    You seem very salty..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryblossoming)
    She felt insulted and objectified because she was being messaged on LinkedIn about her physical appearance, rather than her professional skills and qualifications. To be honest I think her reaction was justified.
    Do we care?
    Objectification is the mental or physical act of treating a person like an object. By complimenting her with the word "stunning" he was saying she looked nice. A woman does not have to be an object to be attractive.

While perhaps a little peculiar to send this woman a message on a professionals' website, it's disgusting that she's decided she is entitled to try and ruin his career by taking this to the press.

I think it's increasingly worrying that one can be publicly vilified for sending a misjudged comment on social media - especially a comment that was not sexual or inappropriate in nature. What sort of society do we live in that you can't compliment a mam or woman?

What next? Male reporter scandalised for saying "nice dress" to woman?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.