Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I am currently going into my final year of my Sociology degree. As the reality of graduating sinks in I've started to realise more and more that I should have did a nursing course to begin with. The reason I didn't apply for nursing back in sixth form was due to the fact that I failed my GCSE science and I just wanted to get out of school and into Uni ASAP (so silly I know)!
    However, now that I'm more mature I'm ready to repeat my GCSE science this year and apply for adult nursing. Although, there is one complication. The two universities in NI that do the course I want need BBC (if you don't have a science Alevel which I don't). However, my grades are BCC. I was wondering if having completed a Sociology degree will make up for my lack of Alevel grades.
    I am going to apply for adult nursing for September 2016 but if I am not successful, I will take a year out & work in a nursing home. I have considered doing an access course however the only ones available to me only accept people that have been withdrawn from education for at least 2 years. I also considered a foundation course but it is 2 years and I wouldn't get funded for it as I've only got 1 year of student finance left.
    Has anyone got any advice? Would my degree benefit me? Or would it hinder me as it isn't nursing related?
    Sorry for the essay! Thank you for your replies,
    Kara
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your best bet is to email the unis and ask as they're the only ones who can give you a definitive answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could apply for a postgraduate diploma in nursing with your sociology degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karakelly)
    Hello everyone,
    I am currently going into my final year of my Sociology degree. As the reality of graduating sinks in I've started to realise more and more that I should have did a nursing course to begin with. The reason I didn't apply for nursing back in sixth form was due to the fact that I failed my GCSE science and I just wanted to get out of school and into Uni ASAP (so silly I know)!
    However, now that I'm more mature I'm ready to repeat my GCSE science this year and apply for adult nursing. Although, there is one complication. The two universities in NI that do the course I want need BBC (if you don't have a science Alevel which I don't). However, my grades are BCC. I was wondering if having completed a Sociology degree will make up for my lack of Alevel grades.
    I am going to apply for adult nursing for September 2016 but if I am not successful, I will take a year out & work in a nursing home. I have considered doing an access course however the only ones available to me only accept people that have been withdrawn from education for at least 2 years. I also considered a foundation course but it is 2 years and I wouldn't get funded for it as I've only got 1 year of student finance left.
    Has anyone got any advice? Would my degree benefit me? Or would it hinder me as it isn't nursing related?
    Sorry for the essay! Thank you for your replies,
    Kara
    I'm in the same position - the fact that you already hold a BSc (Hons) degree will make up for any UCAS points and A-levels, as I was told by numerous of Universities via e-mail, so I wouldn't worry about it nor would I do an Access Course, however you will either need GCSE's or some Universities still accept the Level 2 however it is being phased out as I have heard. The only thing you will need is some experience, not just HCA but Support Worker, working with kids/adults with mental health or learning disabilities, anything like that would strengthen your application. May I ask which branch you're applying too? As I am starting my final year of Sociology now. Also, in terms of funding, you will be fully funded by the NHS and will still be eligible for additional Student Finance irregardless of any previous study for Nursing (Undergraduate, not Postgraduate Diploma)

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm in my final year of a BA Hons degree looking to do adult nursing in sep 2017, at a-level I had BBC (the two uni's I would be applying for want BBB). I went to an open day at uni of south wales and they told me to apply with the grades I have as the a-level grades wouldn't matter due to me having a degree (hopefully passing anyway!) However, they did say they would want 5 GCSE A*-C grades which had to include maths, english and science, your best bet would be to obtain your science GCSE and apply with the grades you have Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why a degree should hinder you as it shows the admission team that you are capable of working to degree level.

Yeah do postgrad

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.