Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What it says in the title really.
    I'm currently deciding between several colleges in Oxford, including Merton. However, although I love the look of the place, it doesn't apparently have a library that's open 24/7. I'd always considered this a priority, so it's really the only thing preventing me from deciding on Merton.
    For those at Oxford (or other universities), do you think it's important to have a library that's open 24/7, or can you cope completely fine without one?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehan Prouvaire)
    I'm currently deciding between several colleges in Oxford, including Merton. However, although I love the look of the place, it doesn't apparently have a library that's open 24/7. I'd always considered this a priority, so it's really the only thing preventing me from deciding on Merton.
    For those at Oxford (or other universities), do you think it's important to have a library that's open 24/7, or can you cope completely fine without one?
    Thanks in advance.
    Probably depends on how much you want to use the library at late hours. My college has a 24/7 library, but to be honest, I rarely study in libraries at any rate since I prefer my room, and so didn't really make use of it much. Whenever I did go, I hardly ever stayed past 11 or 12. On the other hand, I know some people who study in libraries very often, and they seemed to do just fine with non-24/7 libraries.

If you're a real night owl who wants to have the option of studying in a library in the wee hours of the morning, having a 24/7 library would probably be really useful. Otherwise, it's a perk (eg in case you need to grab a book at the last minute), but hardly essential in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance.
    You can definitely cope without. Merton is 8.30-midnight. Personally I'd rather not be working past midnight! (and can do so in my room when I have to)

On the other hand: if working at 2am seems likely to you, and you'd like to be in the library at that point, then you might want to pick somewhere else. But ultimately, don't worry too much about picking your college!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance.
    Given that most Oxford colleges don't have a 24/7 library, it's definitely possible to do well without one. That being said, my college has a 24/7 library and I think it's a fantastic thing to have - I don't even go in the library past midnight very often, but it takes the pressure off knowing that if I want to use it then it's there. I guess it really does come down to your personal study preferences, but for me I'm glad to have a library available whenever I need it.

ReputationRep:
    which college to you go to Talks4England?

ReputationRep:
    It's 100% possible to cope perfectly fine without a 24/7 library as all people in colleges without one do.

That being said, if you think you will work in the library and like the idea of staying up late and not having to think about leaving and re-setting up elsewhere - it's worth seriously considering.

I personally work best late at night, so will often set up all my stuff in the library, wander off for a kebab or a coffee etc, and then come back and continue working until 2/3 etc. Equally, I also see people getting up very early and working in the library.

Have a think about how you work and then decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talks4England)
    Given that most Oxford colleges don't have a 24/7 library, it's definitely possible to do well without one.
    Just for the sake of accuracy: three quarters of the undergrad colleges have 24/7 libraries.

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice to think that having a library that closes at midnight would force you to get all the essential work out of the way early in the evening, allowing you to get a good night's sleep, but I suppose it's unlikely to work out that way in practice. Most Oxford students are still up after midnight on a typical term night and I'd imagine a fair proportion of them are working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    which college to you go to Talks4England?
    I'm at Pembroke

ReputationRep:
    My college's 24/7. You don't need one but it's convenient especially to print things.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.