Lilytan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm thinking of changing on of my a level subjects, classical civilisation, to biology. my lessons started one week ago at my new college and I found that classics isn't really what I expected and I'm already bored during class, already zoning out. so I'm thinking of changing to biology, which I enjoyed at GCSE although the workload will be much more in depth at a level. I got a A*A*A* in triple science.

1)I just wanted to ask how hard the coursework is, as I am an exam-type of person, seeing that no matter how hard I tried and rewrote my draft, I only got a high B in my coursework for GCSE. My exam board is OCR. I am aiming for an A, ready to put the effort so I would hate it if my can coursework drag me down drastically. I am in a college with loads of students as well so I can't except much support from teachers unlike before, although even at GCSE with all the support I had, I only got a B.

2)Another question is if I take biology my subjects will be maths, history, economics and bio. My friends tell me that they are extremely broad, maybe too broad and that when I chose my future pathway it would be limited. What can I do with these subjects? I have no idea at the moment, perhaps biotechnology, sociology and history? But my teacher told me that chemistry is needed for biotech, another essay based subject for both history and sociology; meaning that taking two each from sciencey subjects and two from arts based subjects don't work. I am aiming for Russel group unis, which means there are a great number of applicants who will have all the 'preferred/suitable' subjects, so this might put me at a bit of a disadvantage.

Thanks for reading this
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lilytan)
Hi, I'm thinking of changing on of my a level subjects, classical civilisation, to biology. my lessons started one week ago at my new college and I found that classics isn't really what I expected and I'm already bored during class, already zoning out. so I'm thinking of changing to biology, which I enjoyed at GCSE although the workload will be much more in depth at a level. I got a A*A*A* in triple science.

1)I just wanted to ask how hard the coursework is, as I am an exam-type of person, seeing that no matter how hard I tried and rewrote my draft, I only got a high B in my coursework for GCSE. My exam board is OCR. I am aiming for an A, ready to put the effort so I would hate it if my can coursework drag me down drastically. I am in a college with loads of students as well so I can't except much support from teachers unlike before, although even at GCSE with all the support I had, I only got a B.

2)Another question is if I take biology my subjects will be maths, history, economics and bio. My friends tell me that they are extremely broad, maybe too broad and that when I chose my future pathway it would be limited. What can I do with these subjects? I have no idea at the moment, perhaps biotechnology, sociology and history? But my teacher told me that chemistry is needed for biotech, another essay based subject for both history and sociology; meaning that taking two each from sciencey subjects and two from arts based subjects don't work. I am aiming for Russel group unis, which means there are a great number of applicants who will have all the 'preferred/suitable' subjects, so this might put me at a bit of a disadvantage.

Thanks for reading this
I do Maths Biology and History to A2 with Psychology at AS and yes they are broad. I think if you know what you want to do then these arent a good choice. I didnt know whether I wanted to do Maths or History for Uni so I took these subjects, but now I want to do Maths so taking a gap year to do FM. If I were you I would do Biology and Chemistry as they seem more useful than Biology alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lilytan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Ben4)
I do Maths Biology and History to A2 with Psychology at AS and yes they are broad. I think if you know what you want to do then these arent a good choice. I didnt know whether I wanted to do Maths or History for Uni so I took these subjects, but now I want to do Maths so taking a gap year to do FM. If I were you I would do Biology and Chemistry as they seem more useful than Biology alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply! I know that if I'm going to do chemistry I'll have to drop economics as history is seen as a 'facilitating subject' and will allow me to go into history or sociology at uni if I decide to. However so far I find economics to be most interesting and fun, which makes me hesitate switching subjects. Wonder if unis will allow me to do a sociology degree with maths, bio, chem and economics a level?
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply! I know that if I'm going to do chemistry I'll have to drop economics as history is seen as a 'facilitating subject' and will allow me to go into history or sociology at uni if I decide to. However so far I find economics to be most interesting and fun, which makes me hesitate switching subjects. Wonder if unis will allow me to do a sociology degree with maths, bio, chem and economics a level?
If you are set on a sociology degree then you dont need Chemistry, I just thought if you didnt know what to do then Bio and Chem can open up most if not all Science based courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SLClegg
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having studied A-level Biology on the OCR exam board I'll have a stab at answering your questions. Although this was 3 years ago and I'm under the impression that how A-levels are assessed has changed. 1) Personally, I found the coursework far easier than my exams for biology but in terms of how hard it is is solely dependent on how hard you find it. The practicals are fun and not really challenging as long as you follow and read the lab script carefully. We did practice runs that were similar but not identical. In terms of the write-up its very similar to GCSE, half based on your results and half based on standardised results. My only advice is try and get hold of any practice papers and just keep going through the questions. 2) Unfortunately, as you've highlighted your subjects are broad. Ideally, if want to study a science based subject at university many Russell Group university require both Biology and Chemistry. However, some may accept Maths as an alternative it's worth checking with the uni directly. For example, The University of Manchester require 2 hard sciences for biotechnology but class maths as a hard science. So you'd qualify there. Also, to study History at Manchester you only need History at A grade. To study Sociology at manchester they require you to have one A-level subject from a list which includes chemistry, biology, economics and History (among many others). So again you would qualify for these courses. The best advice I can give is to just look around. All universitys wsee science A-levels as desirable regardless of what you want to study because they are hard A-levels.
rainbowtwist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just started A level Biology on the OCR spec ( I'm in year 12)
All exams are at the end of year 13 and the practicals don't contribute towards your final grade.
You still do practicals over the 2 years but all work is recorded in like a log book which is assessed by the teacher. You either pass or fail.
The pass/fail will be reported next to your grade on the certificate
So you should be fine if you decide to do it :yes:
Docjones1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks for reading this
I got the exact same UMS for Biology and Chemistry so I'd say they were about joint hardest with bio needing more memorisation and chemistry being more difficult in general. History is a bit out of place - that's all I have to say. Maybe Physics? Just don't do something you didn't enjoy learning about in GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads