Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive got english lang paper 1 tommorow ( no poetry)

hw have u guys been revising and preparing for it cause i cant think of anything to do

thanksx

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to revise for. I guess you could do a couple of examples of persuasuve, informative and descriptive writing but that's all I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    have you looked at a past paper? they have changed the format slightly this year, well AQA have, don't know about the others.

ReputationRep:
    hi, yea, i was just gonna post the same thread. i need advice on how to get a good grade (preferably an A ) and just any random tips on how to structure answers for both sections - argue, persuade & advise.
    Not really sure how you can revise for this because it is unseen text although you could practice writing essays on the section B?
    Always write about language, whether the text is suitable for the audience, how it is presented on the page (headlines, pics, font) etc.
    Any other comments regarding this exam would be much appreciated

I'm using the internet at the moment to try and revise....try this, http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/mainguides/nonfiction.htm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I did a past paper for my mocks and I got a B in it.I seem to remember my teacher telling us about changes in the format (we're doing AQA) but I can't remember what she said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrjoe)
    have you looked at a past paper? they have changed the format slightly this year, well AQA have, don't know about the others.

How has AQA's format changed, because I'm doing AQA.

ReputationRep:
    wasnt the paper 2 hrs last year but they've changed it to 1 hr 45 mins this time around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urban_flavaz)
    wasnt the paper 2 hrs last year but they've changed it to 1 hr 45 mins this time around?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urban_flavaz)
    Oh yeh, I knew that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/gcse/revise.htm#1

This is a really useful site to pick up tips from. There's not really much you can do in the way of revsion, but in our class we just did loads and loads of practice papers to get our timing and style right. But reading through the tips on the above website can help too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/gcse/revise.htm#1

This is a really useful site to pick up tips from. There's not really much you can do in the way of revsion, but in our class we just did loads and loads of practice papers to get our timing and style right. But reading through the tips on the above website can help too.
    Yeah that is quite a good site.

ReputationRep:
    Revision for this exam is in fact understanding the assignment objectives and attempting to cover them all in your responses. Remember it is your effort at each AO that determines your grade.

AO2 Reading (concerning Section A – unseen text)

(i) read, with insight and engagement, making appropriate references to texts and developing and sustaining interpretations of them;
    (ii) distinguish between fact and opinion and evaluate how information is presented;
    (iii) follow an argument, identifying implications and recognising inconsistencies;
    (iv) select material appropriate to their purpose, collate material from different sources, and make cross references;
    (v) understand and evaluate how writers use linguistic, structural and presentational devices to achieve their effects, and comment on ways language varies and changes.

A03 Writing (Section B)

(i) communicate clearly and imaginatively, using and adapting forms for different readers and purposes;
    (ii) organise ideas into sentences, paragraphs and whole texts using a variety of linguistic and structural features;
    (iii) use a range of sentence structures effectively with accurate punctuation and spelling.

The weighting of each AO differs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illmathematical)
    Revision for this exam is in fact understanding the assignment objectives and attempting to cover them all in your responses. Remember it is your effort at each AO that determines your grade.

AO2 Reading (concerning Section A – unseen text)

(i) read, with insight and engagement, making appropriate references to texts and developing and sustaining interpretations of them;
    (ii) distinguish between fact and opinion and evaluate how information is presented;
    (iii) follow an argument, identifying implications and recognising inconsistencies;
    (iv) select material appropriate to their purpose, collate material from different sources, and make cross references;
    (v) understand and evaluate how writers use linguistic, structural and presentational devices to achieve their effects, and comment on ways language varies and changes.

A03 Writing (Section B)

(i) communicate clearly and imaginatively, using and adapting forms for different readers and purposes;
    (ii) organise ideas into sentences, paragraphs and whole texts using a variety of linguistic and structural features;
    (iii) use a range of sentence structures effectively with accurate punctuation and spelling.

The weighting of each AO differs.

So the markers take into account the effort put in to achieve the correct style? I just thought they marked it upon how effectively it was actually written, and the final product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    So the markers take into account the effort put in to achieve the correct style? I just thought they marked it upon how effectively it was actually written, and the final product.
    The examiners use the assignment objectives as a mark scheme so it would be wise to keep them in mind.

A successful end product would be one that has covered each objective - the range of marks awarded for each then depends on how effective these responses are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illmathematical)
    The examiners use the assignment objectives as a mark scheme so it would be wise to keep them in mind.

A successful end product would be one that has covered each objective - the range of marks awarded for each then depends on how effective these responses are.
    Oh right. Thankyou for the advice anyway!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.