username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I recently achieved a grade A in A Level OCR Geology. If you have any questions about the course, or need help understanding any of the content, feel free to ask
username2088165
Rep:
?
I guess A Level Geology isn't as popular as I thought
Pilot747
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you find it interesting and would you recommend it?
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pilot747)
Did you find it interesting and would you recommend it?
I personally found the first year modules more interesting than the second year ones. Geology was the A Level subject I enjoyed most, and that is probably why I got my highest overall A Level grade in it

I'd definitely recommend it if you like geology and learning about the Earth, it's structure, it's resources, how it works etc. If your heart isn't really in it though, you will probably struggle with it, as with any other subject.

If you're thinking of doing geology or a related degree after college, then I think it would definitely be helpful to have done geology at A Level if you're able to, because you will already know and understand some of the content, and it will generally stand you in good stead.
bolton0709
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, I do Geology A-level currently with OCR and just wondered, what was your main method of revising? I've got my mock on Thursday and geology is my least confident subject (I take geology, geography, biology and maths); I struggle with it quite a lot but I do enjoy it !The thing I struggle with is just remembering all the information like rock and mineral names as well as the processes but I understand those just kinda have to be learnt no matter what aha. I currently revise by flashcards and occasionally a practise paper but, because all the modules are combined in exams, I always find questions that I haven't covered yet so it can be confusing.Any help would be great!Thanks
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bolton0709)
Hiya, I do Geology A-level currently with OCR and just wondered, what was your main method of revising? I've got my mock on Thursday and geology is my least confident subject (I take geology, geography, biology and maths); I struggle with it quite a lot but I do enjoy it !The thing I struggle with is just remembering all the information like rock and mineral names as well as the processes but I understand those just kinda have to be learnt no matter what aha. I currently revise by flashcards and occasionally a practise paper but, because all the modules are combined in exams, I always find questions that I haven't covered yet so it can be confusing.Any help would be great!Thanks
My exam revision tactic (which I still use at uni) was to first read through my notes (plus the textbook to gain extra information that I might not already have), and then to attempt past papers. I didn't bother with timed conditions at first, just going through the questions and then the mark schemes to check what I'd learned and how the answers should be phrased. Also, make sure you use the module specifications as a guide so that you can keep track of the topics you've covered. If you've gone over everything listed then you should have no problems, they won't ask about anything not on the spec

I have to say that the content does look a lot more complicated than when I did the old specification, they've squeezed so much in now :eek:
bolton0709
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aha yeah, I can't quite believe how much I have to learn! But thanks for the advice; Hopefully it'll work for this mock. I take it you were on the old OCR spec, not the 2016 OCR 4014 spec? What did you find the hardest in it ?
Thanks again
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
My exam revision tactic (which I still use at uni) was to first read through my notes (plus the textbook to gain extra information that I might not already have), and then to attempt past papers. I didn't bother with timed conditions at first, just going through the questions and then the mark schemes to check what I'd learned and how the answers should be phrased. Also, make sure you use the module specifications as a guide so that you can keep track of the topics you've covered. If you've gone over everything listed then you should have no problems, they won't ask about anything not on the spec

I have to say that the content does look a lot more complicated than when I did the old specification, they've squeezed so much in now :eek:
username2088165
Rep:
?
Aha yeah, I can't quite believe how much I have to learn! But thanks for the advice; Hopefully it'll work for this mock. I take it you were on the old OCR spec, not the 2016 OCR 4014 spec? What did you find the hardest in it ?
Thanks again
Yes, I did the spec for 2013

I found most of the topics fairly straightforward, but it did take a while to get my head round some of them such as the geological structures. Learning all of the different morphological features and adaptations of different fossil groups was quite difficult too because there were just so many! I found the fieldwork aspect quite challenging too, have you been on any fieldtrips yet? I assume they still do those
bolton0709
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah we still do fieldtrips thank god; We were super lucky (I live in UK) but went to sicily for mount Etna volcano research and lava right at the start of my A-level. It was mainly for the year 13s but we really enjoyed it! We haven't been anywhere yet but will be doing some more for our PAGs and just for application.
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Yes, I did the spec for 2013

I found most of the topics fairly straightforward, but it did take a while to get my head round some of them such as the geological structures. Learning all of the different morphological features and adaptations of different fossil groups was quite difficult too because there were just so many! I found the fieldwork aspect quite challenging too, have you been on any fieldtrips yet? I assume they still do those
username2088165
Rep:
?
Yeah we still do fieldtrips thank god; We were super lucky (I live in UK) but went to sicily for mount Etna volcano research and lava right at the start of my A-level. It was mainly for the year 13s but we really enjoyed it! We haven't been anywhere yet but will be doing some more for our PAGs and just for application.
Aw I'm jealous! We went to the Isle of Arran in Scotland for a week :rolleyes: my final university field trip was to Mull (again in Scotland ) but a friend of mine accidentally signed up for the wrong module so he's going to Sicily next week instead - I wish I was!
Luna Davis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Got my a level tomorrow...any ideas on how probabilistic forecasting works?! (aslo doing geology at uni!)
username2088165
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luna Davis)
Got my a level tomorrow...any ideas on how probabilistic forecasting works?! (aslo doing geology at uni!)
Hi Luna,

I assume you're referring to earthquake forecasting methods? Probabilistic forecasting is done based on past earthquake events; a record of the frequency of large earthquakes in any area can be used to estimate the likelihood of future events. However, probabilistic forecasting is limited by variations in seismic behaviour between individual fault segments (e.g. where segments are creeping, locked etc).

Probabilistic methods are different from deterministic methods, which are based on the detection of potential earthquake precursors (e.g. emissions of radon gas through developing microcracks) near an active fault.

I hope that helps, and good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
27.96%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (103)
36.92%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.58%

Watched Threads