Turn on thread page Beta

A Mature Student: Getting Started watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello interwebs <3,
    I'm 22 years of age and after 2 years of being out of education I wish to reapply to university. I completed my GCSEs and Alevels in 2011, and entered university wherein I only completed 2 years before dropping out due to personal health issues. After a year and a half struggling to recover, I am ready to make steps to returning to university and am in need of advice as to how to proceed. I had some questions;

-When applying to a university (my course of choice atm is Psychology) will my Alevels + GCSEs still be valid?
    -(following from previous Q) As a mature student am I permitted to apply to standard undergraduate courses, with my current qualifications? If not, am I restricted to foundation degrees?
    -What am I required to study (or what is recommended), other than undertaking Access to HE, to make myself eligible for any type of degree?
    -If my Alevels aren't valid, can I retake my Alevels within the compulsory time frame (that is to say, 2 years) and apply with them?

Many thanks. I am in dire need of your help, so any advice is very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Oops, can I request this be moved to the appropriate sub-forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glee)
    Hello interwebs <3,
    I'm 22 years of age and after 2 years of being out of education I wish to reapply to university. I completed my GCSEs and Alevels in 2011, and entered university wherein I only completed 2 years before dropping out due to personal health issues. After a year and a half struggling to recover, I am ready to make steps to returning to university and am in need of advice as to how to proceed. I had some questions;

-When applying to a university (my course of choice atm is Psychology) will my Alevels + GCSEs still be valid?
    -(following from previous Q) As a mature student am I permitted to apply to standard undergraduate courses, with my current qualifications? If not, am I restricted to foundation degrees?
    -What am I required to study (or what is recommended), other than undertaking Access to HE, to make myself eligible for any type of degree?
    -If my Alevels aren't valid, can I retake my Alevels within the compulsory time frame (that is to say, 2 years) and apply with them?

Many thanks. I am in dire need of your help, so any advice is very much appreciated!
    Yes your A-levels and GCSEs are still valid so you can apply for what you want.

You will probably face issues with funding if you have already had two years worth. You need to check given your health issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that you've had some problems. You do need to speak to student finance. If it were one year it might be a different matter but with it being two alarm bells are ringing.

If you aren't eligible for funding then all is not lost. There are degrees that you would be able to get onto without a problem and receive funding for, although psychology isn't one of them. Vocational degrees like nursing (mental health, adult, child, learning disabilities), SLT, occupational health, physiotherapy, radiography etc. are all eligible for NHS funding and there are a few others as well that you would get a second loan for, which are mainly STEM subjects including computer science. I would look into those. If psychology is what you want to do you could always do a conversion Masters much more cheaply after doing a funded degree perhaps.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.