Onica Hussain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so I am all new to this!
I'm hoping to apply to Warwick to study a joint honours in History and Politics/Sociology.

I attained ABB at AS (was hoping AAA) so my application to Oxford is definitely out of the window! Although I'm hoping that a re-mark in a subject will get it to AAB. I'm also Deputy Member for UK Youth Parliament for Ipswich.

I come from a below average performing school located in a relatively deprived area so my interest in studying Politics and hopefully getting into education was from my experience of education.

I wanted to ask those who applied what AS grades you attained and whether you were accepted at Warwick. I love the course at Warwick because the Renaissance is my favourite event in history and Warwick holds a great emphasis on it, but the only thing that is deterring me from applying is the fact that it is located in Coventry which is not the best place!
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Onica Hussain;[url="tel:59282759")
59282759[/url]]Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so I am all new to this!
I'm hoping to apply to Warwick to study a joint honours in History and Politics/Sociology.

I attained ABB at AS (was hoping AAA) so my application to Oxford is definitely out of the window! Although I'm hoping that a re-mark in a subject will get it to AAB. I'm also Deputy Member for UK Youth Parliament for Ipswich.

I come from a below average performing school located in a relatively deprived area so my interest in studying Politics and hopefully getting into education was from my experience of education.

I wanted to ask those who applied what AS grades you attained and whether you were accepted at Warwick. I love the course at Warwick because the Renaissance is my favourite event in history and Warwick holds a great emphasis on it, but the only thing that is deterring me from applying is the fact that it is located in Coventry which is not the best place!
Hi, I'm a first Year Warwick History undergraduate. In relation to location, we are actually on a Campus outside of Coventry! At GCSE my grades were like B/As. In light of that I got A*A*A in History, Business and Sociology and I did the EPQ (A*). So it's more A level than GCSE
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously it is difficult as it is a top university but the course and your grades make all of the difference. My course was riding on my portfolio more so than anything else - my GCSEs and A-levels were nothing special but they care about your A-levels far more. Is the entry for the course you're looking at 3 A's?
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Hi, I'm a first Year Warwick History undergraduate. In relation to location, we are actually on a Campus outside of Coventry! At GCSE my grades were like B/As. In light of that I got A*A*A in History, Business and Sociology and I did the EPQ (A*). So it's more A level than GCSE
Hi Magnus Taylor,
Appreciation for replying! Yes I know Warwick holds emphasis on A Levels than GCSE's but is there a possibility I could be rejected for my AS grades?

Also, it's interesting to see that you did the EPQ. I was also thinking of doing it but unfortunately I wasn't able to do it in my school. How much is the EPQ regarded in admissions? Do you think it would be worth me doing it?
Magnus Taylor
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Onica Hussain)
Hi Magnus Taylor,
Appreciation for replying! Yes I know Warwick holds emphasis on A Levels than GCSE's but is there a possibility I could be rejected for my AS grades?

Also, it's interesting to see that you did the EPQ. I was also thinking of doing it but unfortunately I wasn't able to do it in my school. How much is the EPQ regarded in admissions? Do you think it would be worth me doing it?
Yeah try and do the EPQ. What entry are they asking for?
MoonMoonChan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
as long as you don't die on the Coventry ring road you should be FINE
all jokes aside I wish you luck
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllainKahlo)
Obviously it is difficult as it is a top university but the course and your grades make all of the difference. My course was riding on my portfolio more so than anything else - my GCSEs and A-levels were nothing special but they care about your A-levels far more. Is the entry for the course you're looking at 3 A's?
I'm aware that any top university is difficult to get into and as well as applying to Warwick I'm also hoping to apply to Nottingham and was going to apply to KCL but my parents don't like the feeling of me living in London due to the expenses.

And yes, the course for History and Politics is AAA but History and Sociology is AAB - I'm just truly indecisive at the moment of which course apply to because I love both of the course structures. I think it will be better for me to apply to AAB just in case because I don't want to risk it! The only problem is that I've heard that Sociology is not regarded as strong degree subjects for employability.
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
Yeah try and do the EPQ. What entry are they asking for?

AAA for History and Politics
AAB for History and Sociology

I would of done the EPQ last year if I didn't have to teach myself the whole course in Psychology because of the clash in two of my subjects!
Magnus Taylor
Report 4 years ago
AAA for History and Politics
AAB for History and Sociology

I would of done the EPQ last year if I didn't have to teach myself the whole course in Psychology because of the clash in two of my subjects!
Tbh I am doing straight History and I would not recommend joint honours. You are stuck with only the compulsory modules
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
(Original post by MoonMoonChan)
as long as you don't die on the Coventry ring road you should be FINE
all jokes aside I wish you luck

Haha! Thanks!!
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm aware that any top university is difficult to get into and as well as applying to Warwick I'm also hoping to apply to Nottingham and was going to apply to KCL but my parents don't like the feeling of me living in London due to the expenses.

And yes, the course for History and Politics is AAA but History and Sociology is AAB - I'm just truly indecisive at the moment of which course apply to because I love both of the course structures. I think it will be better for me to apply to AAB just in case because I don't want to risk it! The only problem is that I've heard that Sociology is not regarded as strong degree subjects for employability.
Well, I personally think you'll have good prospects either way with History as it is traditional subject everyone respects. I think you should still apply to Warwick, you've definitely still got a shot although I think you should call them beforehand so you know where you stand and don't end up wasting an application space. Some universities will tell you try, others will straight up tell you your chances are 0.

Coventry is a nice area by the way, it's not that bad haha. Also, unis like Warwick tend to be more flexible with entry requirements and their leniency for joint honours rather than straight History for example so, do apply
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
Tbh I am doing straight History and I would not recommend joint honours. You are stuck with only the compulsory modules

Hmm..you have a point but generally I would prefer to do joint degree as I am interested in politics and my role in Youth Parliament gives me a plus point.

Also I wanted to know how are you finding the history course at Warwick? How is the teaching there?
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?

Hmm... You've got a point, but generally I would prefer the joint honours and I would really like to study politics and my role in Youth Parliament gives me a plus point! I actually don't mind the compulsory modules specified on their website.

I wanted to know how is the history course at Warwick? How is the teaching there? do you see many joint honours students?
Magnus Taylor
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Onica Hussain;[url="tel:59284197")
59284197[/url]]Hmm..you have a point but generally I would prefer to do joint degree as I am interested in politics and my role in Youth Parliament gives me a plus point.

Also I wanted to know how are you finding the history course at Warwick? How is the teaching there?
I begin in October . History is made up of four modules in the first year (similar to 4AS), you have two compulsory and two options. I am taking one option module on the Enlightenment and one language module. If you take politics too then you have to take the core modules which isn't as great for pursuing what you like because you are restricted. However I understand you like politics so there is no problem with that .
Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Magnus Taylor;59284333]I begin in October . History is made up of four modules in the first year (similar to 4AS), you have two compulsory and two options. I am taking one option module on the Enlightenment and one language module. If you take politics too then you have to take the core modules which isn't as great for pursuing what you like because you are restricted. However I understand you like politics so there is no problem with that .[/

Silly me! I thought you were already a student who completed first year!
Good luck for October though!

Onica Hussain
Rep:
?
I begin in October . History is made up of four modules in the first year (similar to 4AS), you have two compulsory and two options. I am taking one option module on the Enlightenment and one language module. If you take politics too then you have to take the core modules which isn't as great for pursuing what you like because you are restricted. However I understand you like politics so there is no problem with that .

Silly me! I thought you were already a student who completed first year!
Good luck for October though!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (46)
18.47%
Labour (103)
41.37%
Liberal Democrats (50)
20.08%
Green Party (15)
6.02%
Brexit Party (7)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
2.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)