The Student Room Group

Maths at imperial

Hi,
I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.
For my AS levels I got AAAC, C for physics.
Decided to keep on all 4 A levels because I just messed up on my mechanics unit in physics and got an E. Will retake this year and hopefully get at least a B overall for physics AS.
I want to apply for Imperial and UCL to do maths, grade requirements are A*A*A for imperial and A*AA for UCL.
Just wanted to ask if I will need to keep physics since I read that strong Maths applicants keep physics. Or will 3 A levels be enough if I get A*A*A
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
i would stick with all four, if strong applicants have physics too, keep physics - if you want to be a strong applicant that is :P
Reply 2
It just says,
Entry requirement:
A* in Mathematics
A* in Further Mathematics
A in one other A-level (though not essential, strong candidates take Physics and/or Chemistry)

Do I need 4 A-levels or will 3 be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is these days, a lot of people are more capable than ever before, of achieving those grades so good luck but just do your best and you'll be successful regardless..

Econ, Math, Further Math would be good for M.Sci. financial mathematics at Queen Mary leading on to a Ph.D. at LSE, KCL, UCL or Imperial and elsewhere so there's a good option for you as you will just as likely get a job in one the good investment banks and hedge funds.

Mathematics at Imperial is a 'target' course just like going for economics at LSE.

Have you thought about B.Sc. Mathematics with economics at LSE then M.Sc. financial mathematics then a Ph.D. at LSE or Imperial,UCL or Ox/Cam.

They will look at 3 grades as of the entry requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by Protagoras
The thing is these days, a lot of people are more capable than ever before, of achieving those grades so good luck but just do your best and you'll be successful regardless..

Econ, Math, Further Math would be good for M.Sci. financial mathematics at Queen Mary leading on to a Ph.D. at LSE, KCL, UCL or Imperial and elsewhere so there's a good option for you as you will just as likely get a job in one the good investment banks and hedge funds.

Mathematics at Imperial is a 'target' course just like going for economics at LSE.

Have you thought about B.Sc. Mathematics with economics at LSE then M.Sc. financial mathematics then a Ph.D. at LSE or Imperial,UCL or Ox/Cam.

They will look at 3 grades as of the entry requirements.

I've looked at UCL maths course, and saw that the entry requirement are also A*A*A and will be applying for the course. Also don't mind doing a maths course with something else, for example eco.
But if im being honest, I think by the end of A2, if everything goes well, ill be able to come out with A*A*AB, A* in maths and FM, and A in eco and B in physics. But if i was to drop physics, will it make my application weaker, if i apply with a C in AS physics, but do get an A*A*A grade.
Is that not good enough for Imperial or even UCL/LSE?
Original post by Jelly150
Hi,
Decided to keep on all 4 A levels because I just messed up on my mechanics unit in physics and got an E. Will retake this year and hopefully get at least a B overall for physics AS.
I want to apply for Imperial and UCL to do maths, grade requirements are A*A*A for imperial and A*AA for UCL.
Just wanted to ask if I will need to keep physics since I read that strong Maths applicants keep physics. Or will 3 A levels be enough if I get A*A*A
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The key part is doing well in the MAT if you were to apply to Imperial, which you also have to sit for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jelly150
Hi,
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for maths at Imperial and UCL too! hope you get in:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest