Turn on thread page Beta

Mac vs Toshiba watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    With apples educational discount for students I can get a MacBook Pro (not retina) for £770

Spec: 2.5ghz i5 processor, 4gb memory (extra £60 for 8gb) and 500gb hard drive (extra £35 for 1tb)

There's a cheaper laptop I was thinking of for £500

The Toshiba satellite l50-c-12v

Spec: i5, 2.2ghz processor, 8gb memory, 1tb had drive

Basically the Toshiba is £300 cheaper, has the same processor (i5) more memory and a bigger hard drive

Which should I go for? (As a uni student). I need it for movies, essays and Internet searches - nothing fancy. I need the one which will last the longest (preferably the six years of uni).

Should I pay more for the Mac? Ive heard they're excellent reliable laptops

ReputationRep:
    Macs are excellent, However that one is considerably outdated. Always go with the best spec you can afford with laptops, kills me to say it, but take the toshiba or find the funds for a new retina

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)
    With apples educational discount for students I can get a MacBook Pro (not retina) for £770

Spec: 2.5ghz i5 processor, 4gb memory (extra £60 for 8gb) and 500gb hard drive (extra £35 for 1tb)

There's a cheaper laptop I was thinking of for £500

The Toshiba satellite l50-c-12v

Spec: i5, 2.2ghz processor, 8gb memory, 1tb had drive

Basically the Toshiba is £300 cheaper, has the same processor (i5) more memory and a bigger hard drive

Which should I go for? (As a uni student). I need it for movies, essays and Internet searches - nothing fancy. I need the one which will last the longest (preferably the six years of uni).

Should I pay more for the Mac? Ive heard they're excellent reliable laptops
    Don't get the non-Retina MacBook Pro anymore, it's outdated garbage that's three years old at this point. It's running a third generation i5 in a time when virtually every other premium laptop (not intended for gaming) on the market has moved onto fifth gen, runs only half as much RAM as almost every other laptop at this price point, and the rest of the spec sheet doesn't make up for a laptop with a three year old innards costing more than most laptops two generations newer than it.

Is there a reason you settled on that particular Toshiba? Can you link us to the exact model? What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    Toshiba in this case. That Macbook is from 2012 and way too outdated - it doesn't even have an SSD. I don't know about UK pricing but is a recent Macbook Air in your budget?

ReputationRep:
    please dont buy a Toshiba or a Mac. I have a toshiba satellite and its a pos. The wifi card broke, the plastic shell broke and the hdd is messing my os up, I have to reinstall windows every month ffs

ReputationRep:
    Apple is overpriced ****. Everyone knows this inside, it's just that some deny it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Don't get the non-Retina MacBook Pro anymore, it's outdated garbage that's three years old at this point. It's running a third generation i5 in a time when virtually every other premium laptop (not intended for gaming) on the market has moved onto fifth gen, runs only half as much RAM as almost every other laptop at this price point, and the rest of the spec sheet doesn't make up for a laptop with a three year old innards costing more than most laptops two generations newer than it.

Is there a reason you settled on that particular Toshiba? Can you link us to the exact model? What's your budget?
    Hi,

so the toshiba is this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...34427-pdt.html

i chose this toshiba because it had double the specs of the macbook pro non retina but was £300 cheaper. but since youre saying the non retina is awful I will be able to stretch to £860 to buy the retina version. its a present from my parents and theyre encouraging me to buy the macbook because they want it to last till i finish uni (in 2021)

this is the mac id get: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/ (the 13" with retina)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Toshiba in this case. That Macbook is from 2012 and way too outdated - it doesn't even have an SSD. I don't know about UK pricing but is a recent Macbook Air in your budget?
    i can stretch my budget to get the macbook pro with retina - is this good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanx623)
    Macs are excellent, However that one is considerably outdated. Always go with the best spec you can afford with laptops, kills me to say it, but take the toshiba or find the funds for a new retina

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes i can stretch budget to get the retina!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    X
    My sister wants to buy this one for her work: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/

its the new macbook. what is your opinion of this? is she better off buying a macpro retina like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)
    yes i can stretch budget to get the retina!
    Then definitely go with that, once you turn mac you never go back!

Got a Top Spec 15" Retina Pro Myself.

ReputationRep:
    Then definitely go with that, once you turn mac you never go back!

Got a Top Spec 15" Retina Pro Myself.
    so ill get the 13" macbook pro with retina. this one: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/

it comes with 2.7ghz i5 processor as standard and 8gb of memory. you think thats enough memory for a uni student?

i dont store many pics, all music i stream over spotify and any tv/movies is streamed over netflix. i dont store any of that stuff on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)
    Hi,

so the toshiba is this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...34427-pdt.html

i chose this toshiba because it had double the specs of the macbook pro non retina but was £300 cheaper. but since youre saying the non retina is awful I will be able to stretch to £860 to buy the retina version. its a present from my parents and theyre encouraging me to buy the macbook because they want it to last till i finish uni (in 2021)

this is the mac id get: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/ (the 13" with retina)
    The Toshiba is a solid spec for the price, and is virtually as powerful as the Pro is and has the advantage of a large capacity hard drive. However the screen is a bog standard 1366 x 768 resolution panel compared to the gorgeous screen on the Pro, it's not as well built and its battery life will be inferior. The MacBook line also have class leading keyboards and trackpads.

At the end of the day you want a laptop for basic stuff and a £300 laptop will be perfectly fine for doing that stuff, never mind an £800 one. MacBooks do have a reputation for lasting longer than the average Windows machine but you're spending enough to buy a perfectly decent Windows laptop twice over, and I wouldn't want to bet my soul on any single laptop lasting 6 years without a hitch. MacBooks are great (I'm typing on my Retina Pro right now) but they aren't particularly necessary, it's just a case of whether or not you want a "premium" laptop experience.

There's also Windows machines that can offer a MacBook-like experience that come in a variety of flavours and price points, check out the HP Envy, Asus ZenBook, Dell XPS and Lenovo Yoga series for a few different examples.

(Original post by X_s)
    My sister wants to buy this one for her work: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/

its the new macbook. what is your opinion of this? is she better off buying a macpro retina like me?
    I summed up my thoughts on it here. Basically there's virtually no point buying it over a Retina Pro, thinness is its only advantage and that's not enough to justify the shortcomings yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)
    so ill get the 13" macbook pro with retina. this one: http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/

it comes with 2.7ghz i5 processor as standard and 8gb of memory. you think thats enough memory for a uni student?

i dont store many pics, all music i stream over spotify and any tv/movies is streamed over netflix. i dont store any of that stuff on my laptop
    Having the 15" myself, I don't have experience with dual cores or the lower ram amount, However I rarely exceed 8GB Ram unless I'm doing CAD or Solidworks stuff or i'm doing some light gaming.

As far as the dual core, I can't see you ever needing more than that with your requirements.

I say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)

The 8GB of memory is RAM, not storage space. That's the 128GB SSD, which is plenty if your needs don't stretch too far beyond Microsoft Office and Chrome. If you have tons of documents and media, lump up £50 for a 1TB portable hard drive. If you have loads of games and programs you want, stomach the hit to your wallet (or your parents' , in this case) and get the 256GB model or think very carefully about how much stuff you need installed at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Toshiba is a solid spec for the price, and is virtually as powerful as the Pro is and has the advantage of a large capacity hard drive. However the screen is a bog standard 1366 x 768 resolution panel compared to the gorgeous screen on the Pro, it's not as well built and its battery life will be inferior. The MacBook line also have class leading keyboards and trackpads.

At the end of the day you want a laptop for basic stuff and a £300 laptop will be perfectly fine for doing that stuff, never mind an £800 one. MacBooks do have a reputation for lasting longer than the average Windows machine but you're spending enough to buy a perfectly decent Windows laptop twice over, and I wouldn't want to bet my soul on any single laptop lasting 6 years without a hitch. MacBooks are great (I'm typing on my Retina Pro right now) but they aren't particularly necessary, it's just a case of whether or not you want a "premium" laptop experience.

There's also Windows machines that can offer a MacBook-like experience that come in a variety of flavours and price points, check out the HP Envy, Asus ZenBook, Dell XPS and Lenovo Yoga series for a few different examples.

I summed up my thoughts on it here. Basically there's virtually no point buying it over a Retina Pro, thinness is its only advantage and that's not enough to justify the shortcomings yet.
    thanks

you know i think i will treat myself and get a macbook. i have a few more Qs if you dont mind-

- is office for Mac a necessary buy? would i need to convert between apple documents and windows documents if i ever emailed an assignment to a tutor?

- if i did get office would it use up all my memory space?

- is 8gb enough for a student writing say a few essays a week? edit: just read your other post!

ReputationRep:
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Commercial-N...pecifications/

More or less exact same as Macbook pro but much cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The 8GB of memory is RAM, not storage space. That's the 128GB SSD, which is plenty if your needs don't stretch too far beyond Microsoft Office and Chrome. If you have tons of documents and media, lump up £50 for a 1TB portable hard drive. If you have loads of games and programs you want, stomach the hit to your wallet (or your parents' , in this case) and get the 256GB model or think very carefully about how much stuff you need installed at a time.
    this is what my laptop is used for atm:

- micrsoft word + powerpoint
    - google chrome
    - pdf files
    - emails
    - bbc iplayer/netflix

not much media apart from the odd photo, no games and no other programmes i use

ReputationRep:
    Having the 15" myself, I don't have experience with dual cores or the lower ram amount, However I rarely exceed 8GB Ram unless I'm doing CAD or Solidworks stuff or i'm doing some light gaming.

As far as the dual core, I can't see you ever needing more than that with your requirements.

I say go for it.
    is the 13" macbook pro with retina the latest macbook pro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_s)
    - is office for Mac a necessary buy? would i need to convert between apple documents and windows documents if i ever emailed an assignment to a tutor?
    No, there are numerous very good free options for Office suites that work just as well for 90% of people and can open and save Office documents. Apple's iWork is absolutely free and works great, and there's also Google's cloud based Docs app.

- if i did get office would it use up all my memory space?[/quote]

Nope.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.