Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Kc for the equilibrium below is 0.0036 at 2680K. If 1 mole of N2 and 1 mole of 02 are allowed to reach equilibrium at 2680K, what mass of NO will be present in the mixture? (you will need to solve a quadratic equation to answer this)

N2 + O2 --> 2NO its a reversible reaction btw

I'm trying to figure out what the quadratic could be but I just dont understand how to solve this at all. Please help?

ReputationRep:
    I think this guy can help
    K.C
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by _s_ox)
    Kc for the equilibrium below is 0.0036 at 2680K. If 1 mole of N2 and 1 mole of 02 are allowed to reach equilibrium at 2680K, what mass of NO will be present in the mixture? (you will need to solve a quadratic equation to answer this)

N2 + O2 --> 2NO its a reversible reaction btw

I'm trying to figure out what the quadratic could be but I just dont understand how to solve this at all. Please help?
    Let the moles of nitrogen (for example) reacted at equilibrium be 'x'.
    Moles of nitrogen at equilibrium will be (1-x).
    Get all of the other components in terms of 'x' and substitute into the equilibrium law expression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Let the moles of nitrogen (for example) reacted at equilibrium be 'x'.
    Moles of nitrogen at equilibrium will be (1-x).
    Get all of the other components in terms of 'x' and substitute into the equilibrium law expression.
    thank you so much! your reply was really helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 19, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.