The Student Room Group

Law related book recommendations (Personal statement)

I am in the process of putting together a personal statement, to apply for Law with French.

Does anyone have any interesting reading recommendations that are relevant to my subject areas? I'm always looking for new reading material and it would be useful to mention in my personal statement also.

Thanks for any recommendations! Saffron.
Reply 1
I'd say avoid cliches such as Letters to a Law Student, Learning the Law, The Law Machine, Eve was Framed etc. which, although very useful books for understanding law, won't look particularly impressive on a personal statement considering that 90% of other Law PS's will have them. Go for something original from a respected or controversial legal academic, e.g. Richard Posner, John Griffith - that will make you stand out far more!
Reply 2
Original post by anonlad
I'd say avoid cliches such as Letters to a Law Student, Learning the Law, The Law Machine, Eve was Framed etc. which, although very useful books for understanding law, won't look particularly impressive on a personal statement considering that 90% of other Law PS's will have them. Go for something original from a respected or controversial legal academic, e.g. Richard Posner, John Griffith - that will make you stand out far more!

Thank you for your help! I will definitely look into your suggestions, I am very concerned with originality as I appreciate how competitive applications will be. Are there any legal related journals/ newspapers/ magazines you enjoy?
Thanks again.
Original post by Saffron_G
I am in the process of putting together a personal statement, to apply for Law with French.

Does anyone have any interesting reading recommendations that are relevant to my subject areas? I'm always looking for new reading material and it would be useful to mention in my personal statement also.

Thanks for any recommendations! Saffron.

Wordery have a good selection of law books you might find one on there? :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Saffron_G
Thank you for your help! I will definitely look into your suggestions, I am very concerned with originality as I appreciate how competitive applications will be. Are there any legal related journals/ newspapers/ magazines you enjoy?
Thanks again.

Unfortunately I don't know of any good ones as I am yet to begin my degree. I would imagine the people in the current law students thread would be able to help you out?

Good luckk

Quick Reply