Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm really really hoping to get a place doing child nursing for 2016 entry this year... If I'm lucky enough to even get an interview I'm obviously going to have to have done some background reading. I was going to subscribe to one of the nursing journals/magazines but there are so many and I don't know which is best?! Any past applicants/current applicants/avid nursing journal readers that could help me out??

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I haven't applied for nursing myself, nor do I have much info on any nursing related journals, but may I suggest reading the current news on nursing issues? A lot of the time, interviewers will want to see if you keep yourself up to date with the latest info regarding nursing or a current health issue, which is usually addressed on national TV due to the NHS being a huge public interest.

Additionally, make sure you learn the five C's (my friend who starts her paediatric nursing degree this week says this really helped her out). Try to familiarise yourself with some of the rights patients have, as you may be struck with questions relating to patient care. You should also consider reading up some nursing scenarios and taking into account how nurses handed these correctly. If you have undertaken some work experience (which you need to in order to successfully receive an offer from a uni for nursing), think of some of the issues you have faced and how you have overcome them, relating them back to nursing (e.g. a service user displaying inappropriate behaviour, links to nursing as this can happen when treating a patient and as a nursing professional you must remain calm and put the patients health first; working within a team, demonstrating the skills nurses have when working with other professionals in multi-disciplinary meetings or with other nurses during treatment).

Try reading some nursing books too, try to find ones such as 'introduction to nursing', as these can give you some good advice and statistics which can impress and woo interviewers.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    good advice from the above poster, but there are 6 C's, not 5!
    BBC News Health column is a good one to read.
    I didn't bother with subscribing to any magazines, but you can get a feel for what's going on from their websites.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilibet01)
    good advice from the above poster, but there are 6 C's, not 5!
    BBC News Health column is a good one to read.
    I didn't bother with subscribing to any magazines, but you can get a feel for what's going on from their websites.
    Good luck!
    Oops, haha! Thanks for clarifying that It's been a while since my friend and I spoke about our uni interviews, almost a year, must have forgot she said 6 instead of 5!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I've got a place for child nursing and was asked scenario based questions at interview on care and asked about what led to my decision to apply. For your personal a statement. They will expect to see work experience in a health/ caring role along with passion in studying nursing and reference to how you will cope academically Defo read up on 6cs and Francis report. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.